Chapter 10- "Old Flames"

(Flashback)

The little blonde haired girl brushed the golden locks of the doll in her hand as she swayed on the garden swing.

"Mel, come play with me " She grinned at her younger sister as the dark haired princess made her way to the garden. The younger girl frowned. " I don't play boring games" She stuck her tongue out at her sister before running off.

"Hey you!" Little Juliet tried to get off the swing hastily to chase her sister but ended up tripping. She fell down to the ground ungracefully and scraped her palms. Big, tears made their way down her cheeks as she started sobbing.

"Are you alright?" She looked up to the source of the voice. The kind amber eyes of the boy stared down at her in concern as he crouched down in front of her. She recognized him as the boy that had saved her sister from the bandits. He was Amelia's friend.

He took out a clean handkerchief and tied it around her slightly bleeding palm as she sniffled.

"There there. It's alright now" The gentle wind tousled his light brown hair softly as he smiled at her warmly. "Let's get you to the infirmary" He said with the same kind smile. Juliet cheek's warmed.

(End of Flashback)

❋❋❋

Juliet stared distantly at the young blonde man as everyone clapped and cheered. They were looking at her and she paled, not liking the attention on her for the first time. Still not processing what was happening, she did not register when her mother ushered her forward and the emperor took a hold of her left hand.

" Behold the guests, the Future Empress of Drorenth, Emperor Adrian's wife-to-be, Princess Juliet of Ecrothia!" The herald announced again as everyone clapped and cheered. The herald's sharp voice brought her out of her daze with a gasp.

"The engagement will be taking place in a few days"

Her mind was reeling, she could only feel the pounding of her own heart in her ears. It was years of practice that made Juliet stay still as she smiled weakly before her eyes met the solemn, worried and concerned eyes of her sister. One look from her sister did it, she discreetly pulled her hand back before bowing to the emperor unsteadily. 

"I-I'm feeling a little unwell" was all she managed before she dashed out of the hall, bewildering everyone .

"She is just being shy." Queen Rosemary added at the sudden departure of her daughter, an uncharacteristic behavior from the usually prim and proper princess.

 Adrian nodded, understandingly "Of course, it is a big and overwhelming news. It is only normal to feel that way."

Adrian smirked secretly as he recalled something from not so long ago.

❋❋❋

Adrian stormed out of the castle angrily, making his way towards the royal gardens, angry at the way things were going. He had to think of a way to persuade Juliet to cancel the wedding, without his involvement. Engrossed in his thoughts he did not pay attention to his surroundings before he walked in on them. He had ventured to a secluded corner of the garden when he caught sight of someone inside the gazebo, partially hidden behind the flowering bushes.

He paused. The large shade of the gazebo cast shadows on the pair, effectively concealing their identity and only their silhouette was visible. The man appeared to be kneeling in front of the woman. He gently took hold of her hand and kissed it, making his female companion giggle. Adrian's eyebrows shot up at the voice of the maiden. He quickly retraced his steps as he caught sight of the pair leaving the gazebo, his surprised expression morphing into a smirk. He might have just found the solution to his problem.