Chapter 7. Trust Is Earned

Everyone stood near the water's edge. They hadn't noticed my irritation with Ace moments ago. They talked about a volleyball game before Kimmy and I had shown up. The conversation died down.

"Is the water cold?" I asked.

"Let's find out," A deep voice came from behind me.

Everyone chuckled.

My eyes widened, and I spun around. "No." My attempt to sound stern didn't work.

Ace stalked toward me.

"Ace, don't–"

Ace leaped forward and grabbed me around the waist. He threw me over his shoulder and walked toward the ocean.

"No!" I squealed. I slapped my hands against his back.

Ace chuckled. "Do that lower, baby." The water splashed as he walked through it.

Most of our friends laughed and whistled at us.

"Oh my god." I giggled and closed my eyes. "Ace, put me down, or I swear–"

"If you insist," Ace said. He grabbed me around the waist and threw me into the water, as easily as if I weighed as much as a sack of potatoes.

The water wasn't very deep. It wasn't cold. It felt good considering the heat. I rose out of the water.

Ace was just a few inches in front of me.

I splashed water at his face. "I hate you," I muttered. I started to swim past him, but he caught me and pulled me into him.

"I don't believe you," Ace murmured. His eyes held mine, and he pulled us deeper into the water. His hands gripped my hips.

"Why would you do that?" I asked.

"I kind of thought both of us needed to cool down," Ace said and smirked.

"You needed to cool down," I argued.

"Don't pretend like I don't make you hot," Ace teased.

"You're unbelievable." I snorted and rolled my eyes.

Ace chuckled. "I was referring to your temper."

"Sure, you were."

"I don't want to fight with you, bebita."

"You started it." I looked back, and nobody was watching us anymore. Nobody was within earshot of our conversation. "Tell me what your problem is with Kal."

Ace looked away from me for the first time, and he clenched his jaw. "He's just not a good guy, trust me."

"Trust is earned," I said.

Ace looked at me again. "He's not very good to women."

I snickered. "Seriously, Ace? From what I have seen, neither are you. You told me that you liked me, and you kissed me, and want nothing to do with me the next day."

"That's not true." Ace shook his head. "I do like you, but I'm always so busy with work. I rarely have time for a relationship."

"That sounded like the most practiced line that I ever heard."

"It's true. I'd love to take you out and be with you. I just don't know if it would work out." Ace grimaced. He looked indecisive.

"You don't get to act like a jealous boyfriend when that isn't what you are. Get me? Don't play games with me. It's the last thing I need. I've dealt with enough bullshit."