𝓼𝓾𝓷𝓯𝓵𝓸𝔀𝓮𝓻𝓼

Following the attack on Fury, Steve doesn't see (Y/n) for a week and a half

Between S.H.I.E.L.D getting compromised, Fury's getting attacked, becoming a fugitive and having to go on the run, chasing after the Winter Soldier only to find out that it's really Bucky who's behind that mask, sabotaging the Hellicarriers, and then leaking all of S.H.I.E.L.D's intel onto the Internet, he doesn't think he can be blamed for not being able to contact his younger friend.

But that doesn't mean he doesn't think of her during the long run of his 'mission'. Steve misses the peace of her presence and the scent of flowers following him everywhere throughout the time he's on the run from S.H.I.E.L.D.

And when he catches sight of her name being included in the list of individuals who pose a threat to Hydra- also the list of people Hydra means to eliminate- Steve flies into a flurry of desperation, the idea of a satellite-guided gun trained on her fueling his need to put Hydra's plan to an end.

He does it for the world- for Tony, for Peter Parker, for every other person whose life was being threatened- but he goes the extra mile for (Y/n), and Steve feels a strange kind of weight knowing that he has people he wants to protect for reasons other than just basic morals.

When he comes back to the apartment, however, dropping by to get his belongings before his move to Stark Tower (as per Tony's insistence) and to tell (Y/n) that they'll meet up in New York now, Steve is reminded by her aunt that it's September 4th now and that (Y/n)'s already gone home in the time of his absence.

It hits him that New York is by no means small and he doesn't have any of (Y/n)'s contact information, and there's no way her aunt would just give it to him because that's weird and dangerous, and Steve feels strangely hollow at the thought of never seeing her again.

He imagines never getting flowers from her again, and thinks about spending days without an eccentric girl to tease him and take him dancing, and Steve decides that he doesn't like it.

There are too many people who've walked out of his life without him being able to have a say about it. And now, with seeing and losing Bucky all over again, he thinks he needs (Y/n)'s constant friendship more than ever.

So, he hardens his resolve and awkwardly approaches Tony because they may not always get along, but he knows that he can rely on Tony. Also, the latter is undeniably a wizard with technology and if there's anyone he can trust to find (Y/n), it's Tony Stark.

To his credit, Tony doesn't make a big deal out of it. He's a little surprised when Steve explains that (Y/n)'s a high-schooler he managed to befriend over her summer break, but Tony doesn't push it, and Steve's grateful for the man's discretion.

Finding (Y/n) was easy, according to Tony, who also took the liberty to look through the girl's available info because he may have complied with Steve's request but he's always been a nosy bastard. So, he's curious- it's not like anyone can afford to sue him.

And Tony's unsure of how the Captain actually became friends with (Y/n) (L/n)- a relatively above average student at a specialized science school in NYC- but he doesn't ask when he gives Steve the girl's address.

In the meantime, (Y/n) determinedly works to not linger on her disappointment over Steve's apparent disappearance. She doesn't feel hurt- she knows he'd give some sign if he planned it- but she is upset that she didn't even get to say goodbye to the man.

She wonders how he's holding up after the disbanding of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Y/n) follows the news about the organization quite closely out of personal interest.

(She's still reeling about the fact that she gushed about Black Widow in front of the woman herself and then gave her a gladiolus.)

But she knows better than to wallow in that disappointment. So, she goes to school and she tries to listen in class, she hangs out with the friends she hasn't seen and everyone's already lamenting about senior year kicking their asses, and she takes Peter to the park where they both fail miserably at skateboarding and resolve to hiding away for the rest of their lives.

"That was awful," Peter whines, voice muffled as he buries his face in his hands. "I thought I had it!"

She pats his head sympathetically, wincing slightly when a brief sting shoots through her knee. "At least you didn't nearly fall into the fountain," she consoles a little resentfully, shuddering at the memory of what she insists was a near-death experience.

Peter turns to look at her with concern in is wide, brown eyes. "Are you okay?" he asks again, and she chuckles.

"I'm fine, Pete," she assures, smiling. "It's just a scratch."

Sighing, the 13-year-old buy glares at the board he's holding under his arm. "We should burn these things," he suggests with a scowl that doesn't sit well with his boyish features.

"I think I'll keep mine, actually," (Y/n) muses. "For the aesthetic, you know."

Peter looks at her like she's insane, opening his mouth to say something but falling short when he catches sight of the tall, blond man waiting outside (Y/n)'s apartment, a bouquet of several sunflowers wrapped in brown paper in his arms.

"Steve," (Y/n) says, blinking in surprise before a wide smile breaks out on her face and she barrels into the man with a breathless laugh. "What are you doing here?"

The man- Steve- grins just as wide, ruffling her hair fondly once she's pulled away. "I asked Tony to find out your address," he admits, flushing because it makes him sound like a stalker, and (Y/n) snorts.

"Sunflowers?" she asks instead, eyes landing on the bright yellow flowers, her lips curling upwards when she remembers what they represent.

Steve hums, looking from the flowers to the girl, and smiling slightly. "I had to look up a bunch of flower meanings until I decided on them," he informs, passing the flowers over to her. "I thought it's about time I gave you some since I'm the one always receiving."

(Y/n) chuckles, her eyes still fixed on the bouquet in her hold. "Thank you."

Sunflower: Sunflowers are known to represent a variety of things, such as: long life, adoration and platonic love, loyalty, positivity, nourishment, and good luck

Bonus:

Peter Parker frowns at the blond who's immersed in conversation with a grinning (Y/n). The man looks so familiar...

And then it hits him.

"Holy cheese, you're Captain America!"