Chapter 26

Stephanie's P.O.V.

That night was honestly one of the best nights of my life. I still can't believe it actually happened. I hadn't felt that happy in years and I was savoring every last memory of it. The way his eyes looked at me, the way his face was just as bright as mine, the way our hands were connected at each touch. It was everything a girl could dream.

The next day was a leisure day for us, since the festival basically drained our energy and with Rachel's foot the way it is, it was a needed day. Most of us slept in pretty late and that felt amazing to finally get sleep for once. After we all woke up, it was a fight for the TV: who gets to watch what, can we play video games, anybody want to watch a movie. It was insane. Luckily, we all divided it amongst ourselves and the afternoon went peacefully. 

That is, until I got a call from my mum.

Let me back it up. Before I start explaining the conversation, it turns out that we were spotted at the festival. And I mean not just by those crazy girls. I mean secret paparazzi. Louis was bored because it wasn't his turn for the TV, so he logged on his social media sites and showed us that we were trending on Twitter and pictures were everywhere. They were mostly of Niall and Rachel, though. The paps were focused on the fact that Niall has a girlfriend now, but my mum had a different take on it.

"Hi, honey, how's it going over there?" she calmly asked.

"Um, good," I replied, moving into the bedroom because some people were too loud.

"Okay, well that's good," she continued. "I have some news for you, by the way."

"Okay," I responded, pushing her to keep going. Is this good news or...?

"We're coming to England to bring you back home," she announced. I stopped pacing the bedroom.

"What?" I exclaimed. "And what do you mean by 'we'?" 

"Rachel's mom and I are flying out to you tomorrow to come pick you up. You better have your stuff all packed because basically we're just going to turn around and come right back."

"We haven't even been here a week yet!" I complained. This wasn't happening.

"I'm sorry, sweetie. We saw the pictures and Rachel's mom is very concerned about Rachel's foot. Why is it in a cast, may I ask?" 

"She twisted her ankle on rocks," I explained. "But it's fine, she was just messing around."

"Not to us," my mum responded.

"Tell me how she's supposed to fly on an airplane for almost 8 hours with a broken foot, then," I challenged.

My mum sighed. "We will worry about that tomorrow." Exactly as I thought. She didn't even think about that part. Excuses, excuses.

"You can't do this to us," I expressed, my tone still stubborn.

"Oh, I can't? Then how come I have all of our flights booked?" 

"Why are you so mean to me?" I questioned, almost in tears.

"Sweetie, I'm just looking out for you."

"You were the one who told me it was fine to go on this trip, and now you're basically taking it away from me as soon as I get here?!"

"That's how life goes," she replied.

"No, it's not. It's about you being so controlling and not letting me have any freedom. I'm staying here, no matter what you say or do," I delivered.

"Me being controlling? Excuse me for having to deal with a trouble child," she responded. What did she just call me?

"Then why did you even adopt me?!" I asked.