Two: The Call

Grace's fingers punch in a phone number on a touch screen keypad, her feet heavily pace wood floors of a small, lavender bedroom with skinny windows

Grace's fingers punch in a phone number on a touch screen keypad, her feet heavily pace wood floors of a small, lavender bedroom with skinny windows. The line rings three times. "Damn it, pick up!" Grace huffs. Usually, David answered her calls on the third ring at the latest; she felt as if he was ignoring her. Two more rings sounded with no pickup. She stops walking and hangs up to dial again.

This time, on the second ring, a smooth voice speaks. "Hey"

Grace mean mugs the phone in her hand. "Hey? Really, is that all you have to say?"

DAVID'S P.O.V

David, a tall and handsome, built guy, walks an all white photography studio. The place is busy with staff members carrying equipment and props. Photographers hold massive cameras, snapping pictures of models who pose dramatically on fall themed backgrounds. The sound of commotion from a conference room he passes, hold members in formal suits who add to the rest of the noise. He heads to a door that reads: Dressing Room, as he's on his phone. "Sorry, is the job still stressing you out?"

"I'm not calling about that." She clenches her teeth. "Why haven't you been checking in? It's been months since we talked."

David enters the dressing room, closing the door, inside is a clean, white room with a vanity table. "Sorry, I'm busy with gigs."

"You could've sent a text...is there something you need to tell me?"

"Yeah, I could have done that-"

"But you didn't. I asked if there's something you need to tell me?" Grace asks bluntly.

GRACE'S P.O.V

Grace listens to an intense silence between them, to David's breaths, which deepen. She taps her foot as she waits. Grace feels him thinking hard, senses a struggle in him to say what she knew was true, but also what she denied...so it's true...it's true?! "I do have something to tell you." He answers cautiously.

"I already know, so don't waste your breath, you're marrying Hannah. She told me, did you think she wouldn't?"

"I figured she would; you two are close."

"Well, I'm not sure about our "closeness"... that depends on the outcome of this."

"Come on, Grace, don't be ridiculous, okay? Hannah isn't the villain here, so don't make things difficult. If anything, it's my fault. I wanted to tell you about it, but..."

"What?" She grips the phone closer; her nails jam tightly against it.

DAVID'S P.O.V

David stares into the mirror of the vanity table in front of him, with much hesitancy. "I thought back to us in high school." A weakness takes over the soul of his eyes, weighing them down with regret.

"Which lie was it that you thought back to? Was it the one when you said, "I'll come back?" Or when you said, "I love you?" Her voice shoot daggers of ice. David doesn't speak. "I guess when you say things like that to someone, you're bound to get cold feet before the wedding."

"Grace...we were kids and said shit we didn't understand."

"No, we were in love, young or not, we cared for each other and planned to spend life together when ready. HOW COULD YOU JUST UP AND MARRY HER AFTER PROMISING THAT?!!!"

"It just happened. I mean, what do you want me to say?!"

"Really, it "just" happened?!!" Grace's voice yells from the phone.

"See, this is why I didn't tell you; YOU ALWAYS BLOW SHIT WAY OUT OF PROPORTION!!"

"HOW IS HOLDING ONTO WHAT YOU PROMISED-"

"Do you want to do this right now?!" He cuts her off with vigor.

GRACE'S P.O.V

Grace paces back and forth angrily, her now balled fist at her side. "YES, I DO!"

David lets out a deep, long breath. "Just face the truth, it's happening, our wedding is happening, and Hannah wants you to be her maid of honor. Don't make this into a problem with her, okay? I'm sorry, but things change, Grace, it's normal...we lost our spark."

"We lost nothing." Grace ends the call.