Chapter 3.

"You have got to find a better way to get to school," Ariel tsked as I approached her locker on Wednesday, dripping like a wet dog. The one time it rained in Dallas, of course it happened during the 7-minute walk from the DART station to Eastwood. Now that I was safely within the four walls of the beige-brick building, the sun was shining high in the sky, taunting me.

"Any suggestions?" I scrubbed fiercely at my hair with my blazer. "I would love to hear them." My mom had warned me this might happen, telling me to bring an umbrella, but I hadn't listened. Mom 1, Charity 0.

"Here, use this," Ariel fished a towel out of her book bag. I took it gratefully. "The last thing you need is the psycho twins calling you out for not wearing your blazer."

The dress code at Eastwood wasn't that strict, but there were still one or two uptight teachers who stressed "uniformity of appearance" religiously. I wouldn't put it past Lacey and Vanessa to tattle to them solely for the satisfaction of seeing me wearing a dripping blazer around school all morning.

As if on cue, Vanessa materialized beside Ariel's locker. "I saw a drowned rat near the storm drain on my way to school," she said loudly to the trail of cheerleader wannabes following her. "Guess who it reminded me of?"

The wannabes followed her line of gaze and tittered at me nervously, a few hiding their smiles behind their hands. A few looked at the ground, as if uncomfortable participating in Vanessa's bitchiness.

"I only know one person who reminds me of a rat, and she's standing right in front of me," Ariel shot back, facing Vanessa directly.

Vanessa stiffened. "You better watch yourself, Ariel. After Noah graduates, there'll be no one to protect you."

"Unlike you, I can protect myself just fine." Ariel turned her back, busying herself with applying lip gloss, pointedly ignoring Vanessa until she walked away in the huff, clearly irritated that she had to concede defeat in front of her posse.

"God, I hate her," I muttered, handing Ariel back her towel. Ariel was right. Even though no one dared mess with her because of Noah's king-of-the-school status, she actually didn't need it. I knew there was an unfair stereotype of soft-spoken Asian girls, but Ariel was definitely the exception. (Well, she and Noah were both half-Korean, but still). She was never afraid to speak her mind or stand up to the likes of Lacey and Vanessa. It made me feel doubly pathetic, because if anyone needed protection like the kind she gave, it was me.

"I don't know if it's having to sit with her in English or what, but she's gotten worse."

"She's just salty," Ariel rolled her eyes. "I heard she already has her eyes set on Brett, but he just ignores her, the way he does everyone else. Between Lacey and Noah, and her and Brett, they both feel like they're slipping."

"Hard to believe deep down inside they're both so insecure."

"That's the secret to all bullies," Ariel pointed out. "Come on, first bell's about to ring."

"Day 3 out of 180."

"That's the spirit."

***********************************

"Charity Paxton, to the counselor's office please. Charity Paxton, please report to the counselor's office."

A collection of oooohs traveled through the class. It was fourth period, right before the lunch bell, and my relief at a much-needed break with Ariel was quickly being replaced by a sense of dread.

I had a tendency to assume the worst in every situation, and while I knew in the logical part of my mind that I hadn't made any life-jeopardizing mistakes in the last twenty-four hours, my anxiety was ramped up, assuring me that I must have committed some dire offense that had gotten my scholarship revoked.