A Damn Bloody Alley

A hand halted my run towards Dagger Road. A town guard with a red crossed shield and tabard told me to stay put, telling me not to worry about it. I later found out that his name was Sir Christian Dagger, a knight. The man had an imposing figure to him and an even more imposing pair of eyes. These were the kind that looked weary at first, dazed even, but soon turned sharp if you stared long enough.

"We have enough men back there," he said. "The Ardent Choir aren't too bad."

I sighed at that. Of course I was too late for the fight and even worse, I gave up my place in the dinner line. I felt silly standing out in the open like that - spear in hand, and wearing nothing but a tunic and a pair cheap trousers to protect me. I must have looked like a child with a new toy.

"More men!" a voice shouted. "The line is breaking! More men!"

Soon a handful of the guard retreated back into the tavern, holding their wounds while trying to keep their shields in hand. At that, the Sir Christian eyed me from top to bottom and nodded that I join the fighting.

*** *** ***

Some called Dagger Road, Murder Alley. Understandably so, being that it was quite narrow and that there have been a few cases of murder in it. Attempted for my case. It was also a popular path our enemies loved to take. When we fought the Terra Tribe a few gatherings ago, the path was where the fighting was at its hardest. Now a band of Ardent Choir used it as a fierce choke point.

A tall man with two longswords looked to be their leader. He stood in the center of their line, shuffling in and out of contact with proper footwork. One of his shoulders was layered with a steel pauldron while the men around him seemed to be wearing pieces of the same suit. Someone charged him with an axe, but he quickly cut a part of the man's arm off, spraying us with a rain of blood.

The poor guard had armor on and if that were me, I would have been cut in two.  The leader struck two more guardsmen back, nearly breaking the line. When Kenrin mentioned that the Ardent Choir were radicals, I had no idea they were any close to a proper militia.

I formed up next to a shield-bearer to my right, Sir Gregor of the Amalgamation, and started swinging away any weapons that came close him. It seemed to work at first. My spear's reach was enough to push some of the Ardent Choir a few feet back, but that soon made us the target. The leader shuffled closer to our side and began bashing away on Sir Gregor's shield, trying to get to me.

I steeled my wrists, waiting for the right time and then swatted one of the man's swords from his hands. I cheered at my success, but then forgot he had another.

The edge of his other longsword swung across the right side of my chest and a small part of my clavicle. Watching the blood run down my arm, I failed to notice another strike coming. One of the other Ardent Choir lunged a bastard sword at my wound, pushing me back with a massive force.

Thankfully I landed on the surface of a large Uldraven shield that then quickly pushed me back to my feet. I nodded thanks to the guard holding it and forced myself back in the line. 

If I was hit like that again, I'd be another body on the road. Fortunately the leader of the Ardent Choir had already forgotten about me and began throwing heavy buffets on the other side. That still left the one with a bastard sword to deal with.

The monks in Mandala always said that a passionate fighter would always fail against one that had composure. I doubt any of them had ever been behind a shield wall, hacking with as much range of motion as the space would permit. I didn't have their wide round platforms or their windswept fields. I had a heavy spear in a damn bloody alley, and if I didn't fight harder, I'd die in it.

I threw several lunges at the man, jabbing under his arms, his knees, and around his waist. For a moment, the spear did not at all feel heavy, but even with the many wounds I carved up on him, he never showed any signs of faltering.

"Arrgh!" that was the voice of their leader. The sound of it nearly gave me a heart attack, but he was still viciously fighting on his side. Then I noticed, he was too focused on it now. I parried my current opponent's blow and then quickly stabbed the leader behind his calve.

He shouted in pain and he fell on his knees. The town guard quickly pushed forward, finally cutting through the rest of the Ardent Choir with ease. They mobbed the leader, piercing him with their swords until one cut his head off.

As they charged the stragglers, I found myself alone with the bastard sword wielding man. He too laid on his knees, now caked in the dust and his own blood. I pointed my spear at him, ready to end his life. Then he looked up at me.

In battles like these, there is never any reason to actually see who you're fighting. As long as they're swinging at you, they're the bad ones. I saw the other guardsmen kill the rest of his group without prejudice, but I guess I waited a moment too late.

"...Can you get me out of here?" he said faintly.

I paused, for what felt like ages, and then lowered my weapon.

I kicked away his sword before carrying him by his arm over my shoulders. I wondered if it was a mistake. If it was worth saving his life and risking mine at the same time.

"Thank you," he suddenly added, blood dripping from his mouth.

"No problem," I said as if he was another Returned I'd talk to in the tavern. "That was a good fight. Thank you for that."

He nodded back.

From there it was a long walk back to the guard post . Both of us were practically bleeding the whole way, but we made it. I left my captive with Gaius Atreus, who then ordered that he be shackled. Sir Christian Dagger did so, casually pulling my captive in like he wasn't sliced up.

I on the other hand, didn't notice until later that I was smiling through the whole thing. Yes, I was well aware that I was a nick away from death. The sharp pain reminded me as much, but that small victory felt amazing.

I should have relished in it more. Victories were a rare commodity this gathering.