five

The next day was a Saturday, and much like everyone else, Alice had a late breakfast. She would always meet Thalia and Jade for breakfast on the weekends, and this weekend was no different. Thalia was the one who brought up the topic of the Goblet of Fire.

"Who do you think will enter? I know that most of Durmstrang have probably entered, Beauxbatons too- but I wonder who from Hogwarts will be brave enough to put their name in the Goblet," Jade commented.

"I think Cedric Diggory's entered his name in, everyone from Hufflepuff is cheering him on," Alice recalled.

"Didn't someone from Slytherin enter? Warrington, right?" Thalia asked. Jade nodded.

"I doubt he'd make it through the first task."

"Jade, don't say that- it's rude." Alice sounded like a mother scolding her child.

"I'm just saying, he isn't really that resilient," Jade said, shrugging off Alice's comment.

"Sorry, I'm with Jade on this one," Thalia replied.

"And I'm outnumbered as usual." Alice sighed slightly, admitting her defeat. Thalia and Jade laughed.

The three girls continued their conversation, or what some might call gossip.

---

The day had passed pretty quickly for Alice, and it was already time for the school champions to be announced. As she was getting ready in her dorm she could hear students in the common room cheering on Cedric. Some seemed to already be placing bets.

Students trickled into the Great Hall in clumps, and the space filled up very quickly. Alice took a seat where she would normally be during dinner, and Kianna sat near her. Kianna was Alice's closest friend in Hufflepuff. She was the first friend she made in Hufflepuff, and they've had a fairly good friendship ever since first year.

It wasn't long before the Goblet was ready to choose, and as the pieces of paper flew out Dumbledore would read them. Viktor Krum had been chosen for Durmstrang, which was hardly a surprise. The champion for Beauxbatons turned out to be Fleur Delacour, the beautiful girl from yesterday's feast.

Every Hogwarts student seemed to be on the edge of their seats. After all, Hogwarts was the only school left to be announced. Dumbledore soon called out that Cedric Diggory had been chosen as their schools champion, and nearly all of the Hufflepuff table stood up and started cheering as loud as they could for their fellow student.

As the roar died down, Dumbledore began a closing speech congratulating the chosen champions when something distracted him. It was easy to see exactly what it was. The Goblet of Fire had turned red, signaling that yet another champion had been chosen. The room was dead silent except for a few shocked gasps. As the piece of paper shot out of the flames, Dumbledore read the name aloud.

It was Harry Potter. Harry Potter, the boy who always seemed to get into trouble. Harry Potter, the Chosen One had gotten picked for a deadly wizarding competition. It was hard to make out the boy's face, as many were also trying to get a better look at him.

Dumbledore beckoned Harry once more, and this time Harry listened. It was hard to ignore all of the whispers that filled the Great Hall. All of the champions were led away, and the students were told to go back to their dormitories.

All of the students seemed to be gossiping about Harry being chosen as a champion despite the fact that Cedric had already been chosen as the champion for Hogwarts. Kianna and Alice were no exception. "He can never seem to catch a break, can he?"

"No, I guess not," Kianna replied softly. "I feel sort of bad for him- he's only a fourth-year student, like us. He can't be ready to compete in such a competition."

"I agree. Well, on the bright side, at least Cedric was chosen. I'm sure he won't disappoint us," Alice commented.

The two girls began heading up to their dorms to get ready for bed. Most of the other Hufflepuffs stayed in the common room to congratulate Cedric when he returned, but Alice wasn't one who liked big celebrations like that. They were always too rowdy and loud for her tastes.

She could hear the cheering from her dorm, and she couldn't seem to sleep. Instead, she decided to read a bit more of her book. Eventually the celebrating ceased, and there was finally peace and quiet. Alice turned off her lamp and closed her eyes, trying her best to fall asleep but she couldn't stop thinking about the tournament. She worried for the champions and hoped that everything would be alright. Trouble always followed Harry Potter, and Alice hoped the Triwizard Tournament would be an exception to this norm.