28

The days after I had gone to the cinema with Brian had been very busy, and on Friday I was looking forward to the weekend very much. I hadn't heard from Brian since Wednesday night, but I was expecting his call after I got home from work. However, when the phone rang, it wasn't Brian, it was one of my colleagues who wanted to know what my plans for the evening were. Up to that point I had no plans, so I told her that.

And when she heard that, she invited me along with her and a few other fellow teachers and some school staff to the weekly pub quiz that they went to - but had never invited me to so far. I didn't know what to think of that, but before I could really make up my mind, I had already agreed to that. I never really spent any time with them and it was a weird moment of why not that made me agree. If I didn't like it I could always come up with an excuse and leave and what could it hurt to be on good terms with them. I had worked there for a few years but I had never really tried to spend more time outside of work with them. I mean, yes occasionally we did things, but not enough if I thought about it.

I had a few hours to spare before I had to get going, so I went ahead and got some school work done so I would have some spare time during the weekend. I was exhausted now anyway, so I might as well get it over with. Over the work, I ended up nearly taking too long in order to get ready. I skipped dinner, I could get some food at the pub, and then I rushed around my bedroom and the bathroom to get ready. I didn't have to dress up a lot but I still wanted to dress nicely because you never knew.

Eventually I was ready and on my way to the pub and I even made it in time for the quiz which turned out to be a lot of fun. I had a good time chatting with my colleagues and even getting to know them a little more and all in all the evening turned out to be a lot better than I had expected, if I was honest. And I knew a lot more random things than I had thought at first. But by the time I got home at a bit past midnight, I was relieved about that. I was very much looking forward to my bed and to just relaxing and getting some sleep.

The next morning I had a lazy morning, after I woke up I just stayed in bed for a bit with open curtains, the window opened and the book I was currently reading before I made myself some breakfast and did some light cleaning around the flat before I went out to do a bit of shopping. Just the usual Saturday errands, basically. However, when I got home from that, a thought crossed my mind. Brian. I hadn't heard from him, and I hadn't been home to take any calls last night even though we had agreed on that.

So after I had put away the food, I went over to my phone and dialed his number that I had memorised already if I was honest. I waited for a little, but nothing happened. And rather quickly my formerly relaxed state was disappearing because it was not good if he didn't answer his phone. But as I had done before, I hung up and decided to give him a few minutes. Maybe he was out as well, I didn't know what his usual Saturday errands were.

So I made myself some lunch and had that before I tried again. And this time I waited a bit longer. Successfully, after a few minutes he picked up the phone. "Hello?"

Oh dear. Once again that did not sound good. I almost wanted to say he sounded even worse than the last time I had called him. "Brian? It's Frida...," I greeted him, needing a moment before I had collected myself. I was surprised, and not positively.

"Oh..," he mumbled before he cleared his throat. "Sorry... you woke me... what time is it?"

"I woke you?" I asked astonished. "It's three in the afternoon, Brian... how come you were still asleep?" He didn't reply to that, so I continued. "Forget that, that's none of my business... uhm... do you maybe want to do something today?" I didn't really want to leave him alone in that state, I was planning to be subtly annoying again.

"I don't know, Frida.. I'm very tired..," he said quietly. However, I didn't even have to say anything else before he spoke up again. "Even though I guess some company would be nice... if you don't mind that I'm not in the mood for anything spectacular tonight.." His voice was very quiet.

"Neither am I, don't worry. Just some dinner later and then maybe we can see what's on TV. I'm sure we can come up with something to do," I told him. It made me very happy that he had agreed to this because if I was honest I had expected that I'd have to do more convincing. This was a relief, he wasn't entirely opposed to spending time with me. Maybe just with me, but that was okay. As long as he was willing to have some human company I was fine with that.

"Okay, that sounds good to me," he agreed. "Frida..? Could you maybe bring some food? I... I don't really have much in the house, if I'm honest, I've just been eating the leftovers from what you cooked."

He had been eating. That was the important part. "Of course I can bring some food, don't worry. I'm going to do my dishes quickly, then I'll go shopping and then I'll come over to you."

Brian was quiet for a little before he sighed softly. "Okay, yes, that sounds good. Thank you, Frida," he added a bit quieter, making me smile.

"Of course, anytime. You know that, Brian. I'll be there soon, maybe give me an hour or two," I told him, waiting for him to reply before we said our goodbyes and I hung up. And then I went to take a quick shower before I did my dishes and got ready, trying to work out something easy to cook for Brian.

I didn't want to make him eat something similar to what he had been eating these past days, but also my brain was a little dead when it came to food inspiration lately. I would just see what inspired me in the shop and then work from there. That took a while, which was also why I arrived at Brian's house a little later than I had originally planned. Hopefully that would be alright.

I parked my car in his driveway and got out with my shopping bags. I had bought a bunch because I worried about him, and now he had enough food for a while. I walked up to his door and rang the doorbell, waiting for him to come and let me in. That took a few moments, but I expected that.

What mattered was that he did open the door eventually, which was relieving. But it made me a little sad to see that he didn't manage a smile today. "Hey Brian," I greeted him, still with a smile on my face. But I didn't ask how he was because that would have been counterproductive.

"Hey... thanks for coming over," he greeted me before he noticed the bags I was holding. "How much did you buy?!" He exclaimed with surprisingly much emotion.

"Just a bit, don't worry. Could you take a bag?" I asked him, holding the slightly heavier one out for him.

"Of course," he said, shaking his head a little as he took the bag and let me come inside. He closed the door before we went into his kitchen where he looked into the bag he was holding. "You're a little bit crazy, Frida," he said, before he hugged me gently.

"Thanks, I guess," I said, slightly amused as I hugged him back. "I brought a few things so we can cook a bit more, if you want, so you have things to heat up for the next days."

Brian nodded slowly. "Yes, I think that would be good. Thank you, Frida.."

"Anytime, Brian, you know that. There are some things that should be put away soon, so I hope you don't mind if I just give them to you," I told him and looked through the bags.

"No, go ahead. And tell me how much I owe you, I won't let you pay for my food and cook for me," he said firmly. "And no, I won't let you argue with me."

"Alright, fine," I gave in. I didn't want to argue with him so I gave him the receipt. "But really, it's no problem at all."