Chapter 2

Mum and dad said I didn't have to go to school today which I appreciated because now wasn't the time to learn. Unless I was learning something new about Evan's death. Which I am happy to say I have.

Police officers kept coming over to visit us but I kept away not wanting to be interviewed or talked to. My sister Maria was staying with an aunt and I could have gone too but I didn't want to be interviewed. Front time to time I would walk down the stairs quietly and sit in the middle steps while listening in to the police talk to my parents.

One new thing I learnt was that Evan was killed.

He didn't bang fall and get seriously hurt, he wasn't accidentally hit by car, he was killed. Someone out there didn't like Evan.

Whoever it was hated him so much that they thought he didn't deserve to live another day. From what I have heard the police think Evan was in a gang and the members got revenge. 

Was I surprised that the police had come up with this conclusion?

No.

Evan was a black tall guy. What police officer won't think he is in a gang.

None.

I rolled my eyes at the conclusion. I wasn't buying any of it. There wasn't any evidence to suggest that Evan was in a gang let alone killed by gang members.

This might sound crazy but I didn't believe he was dead. I guess that's why I never cried properly. I mean I still wasn't allowed to see Evan's body which means I don't have to believe that he is dead.

I got bored of sitting on my bed over thinking the situation so I went downstairs and walked into the living room. Everyone stopped talking and turned to face me. I dropped myself into a sofa before crossing my legs.

"You guys can carry on you know," I raised an eyebrow at my parents when they didn't say anything.

"What is wrong with you Megan?" Dad suddenly exploded making me feel annoyed. "Why such attitude?"

"I can't help but act this way. No one is letting me see Evan's body!"

"Stop." A policeman said as he looked at the both of us.

"This is a extremely hard time for all of you. You guys don't need to fight at all. Let's all cooperate. When was the last time you saw Evan?"

I looked down at my hands and when no one said anything my mum broke the silence.

"Me and my husband saw the kids in the morning," one officer wrote this down while another turned to face me.

"When did you see Evan?" The officer who had silenced us asked me.

"I saw him last after school. He was here and told me he is going out with his friends but he always does that."

Mum and dad looked at me with suspicion. "What do you mean Megan?" Dad asked as fear laced his voice.

"You know what I mean dad. Every time you and mum come home from work he is never here and you two always freak out," I pause as what I said starts to sink in. "Why do you two freak out?"

Mum looks horrified at what I am trying to imply while dad looks ready to kill me. I stand to my feet before telling the officer closest to me. "I last saw him here at home. He told me around 4pm that he would be going to see a friend. He wasn't specific on what friend."

With that said I grabbed my jacket before putting it on. "Where are you going?" Dad asked as he watches my movement. I don't reply to him and carry on. "I am sorry Megan but please stay inside. It's freezing outside."

"I would rather freeze than be here," I mutter but I know that they heard me. I unlock the door before leaving and heading to the nearest shopping centre. I knew that no one would be around due to school.

Once there I mainly walked around and tried not to look bothered. I honestly don't know why I was lashing out at my parents or trying to make them look bad. They didn't do anything wrong.  I guess I just didn't want to cry. If I didn't show anger then I would cry and if I cry then I believe it.

I believe Evan is dead.

Now I know you are probably confused as to why I don't accept that brother is dead. The police are around and a lot of different people in different sectors have come and spoken to us so why don't I believe? I think the issue with me is that I don't want to believe.

I was looking walking around not sure what store to go to when a group of guys barged into me causing me to fall over. "Whoops! Sorry!" They helped me up but I felt their hands in my pockets. They were stealing my things.

"Get of me!" I shout and they laugh before grabbing my bag and emptying it onto the ground. "Is this real gold?" One black haird guy picked up a watch which once belonged to Evan. He got it for me on my birthday.

"No its not," I said hoping he would give the watch back. A brown haired boy grabbed the watch from his friend before examining it.

"This could pass as real gold," I tried to grab the watch but the brown haired guy held it high above his head to prevent me from getting it.

"Shut up! You are not getting anything back!"

I stood there hopeless as they picked what they wanted from me. I was surprised people allowed these boys to steal from me but I couldn't blame them. From looking as an outsider you would think it's just a bunch of boys helping a girl pick her stuff from the ground.

Luckily while the guys were searching through my stuff I managed to stuff my phone in my jeans and by in my jeans I mean in my jeans. After they had emptied my stuff one of them grabbed me and help my arm tightly. "You better not report! If anyone asks we were helping you out." I nodded too scared to argue back.

I was given my empty bag and was about to run when one guy asked the question I dreaded.

"Don't you have a phone lovely?"

I shook my head but one black guy grabbed me and held me in place.

"Every spoiled looking girl like you must have it all right?"

"I...I am not spoiled. My parents can't afford to buy me a phone." I lied to try save my own skin but my phone decided that today was the day it was going to betray me.

My phone started to ring.

All the guys looked down at my jeans as they started smirking. I felt a hand slip to my jeans back pocket before realisation hit them. "Where is the dam phone? You didn't put it in your underwear right?"

"I don't know," one blonde haired guy gave me a low punch in my stomach making me want to vomit.

"What the bloody hell are you guys doing?" I heard a voice from afar as I bent over due to the punch.
"Daniel come here!" I heard foot steps as another guy approached us.

"Did you take her stuff?" Daniel asked

"Yes! Isn't it awesome!"

"Give it all back," Daniel stated making me look up at him. He was tall and had blond brown hair. He looked like the type of guy you wouldn't want to mess with.

"Wait it wasn't easy getting the stuff of her. She kept wining!" The black guy complained as he gave me a slight push.

"Give it back or I promise your going to regret being born," all the guys slowly started to throw my stuff at me as I tried standing straight. The guys all started to leave me one by one making the fear in me decrease. Once they were gone I sat on the ground and picked up my stuff before noticing a figure standing over me.

It was Daniel. He bent down to face me and gave me the coldest stare ever.

"You are soo lucky sweetheart. You are so lucky," with that he got up and left me on the ground looking and feeling stupid.

I will take my dad's advice next time and stay indoors.