The Call

Knocking out a 16 year old teen, someone she was trying to protect, was an odd thing for Imelda for do, but necessary, as was hiring an ex-assassin to do the protecting, that was also an odd thing to do, though that was necessary too. She picks up the phone and dials.
××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××
It's 9 pm, getting dark, and Frankie Kallissa is sat on the sofa, can of beer in hand, watching the TV quietly playing an old film, when her phone rings with a blocked number. Blocked numbers are not new to Frankie, so she answered. "Frankie? It's Imelda; I need to pay off that favour." Silence. "Frankie?"                                                                                                                                                             "What's the favour?"                                                                                                                                                               "I need you to protect someone. You'll need to go on the run, do whatever it takes to makes to make sure she stays safe. You'll be paid." Frankie sighs.                                                                                               "Imelda, you know I'm trying to stop, get out of the business. It's harder than it looks and now you're trying to drag me back in? And anyways, what makes it so dangerous or urgent that you'll pay me for a favour? And if you're asking me to go on the run, who am I protecting?"                                                                                                                       "Okay, did I ever tell you about my 'friends' Bill and Betty, the demons? It's their daughter I want you to protect, long story short; they're now trying to eat Amber. That's their daughter. You and Milo, Milo Sebastian, remember him? He'll drive you and Amber for as long as necessary until she's safe." More silence from Frankie.                                                                                                                      "How much are you willing to pay?"                                                                                                                   "More than enough; Milo's being paid $10,000 per week but he's driving, $7,500 per week max. I take it you're in?"                                                                                                                                                             "$2,500 a week will be fine. Tell me when to leave and where I'm being picked up from. I assume I'm being picked up."                                                                                                                                                               "Deal. Yes, you'll be picked up. I'll text you the details."                                                                        "Imelda."                                                                                                                                                                               "Yes?"                                                                                                                                                                                    "Why me?"                                                                                                                                                                     "Because you're the best of the best."

As she was walking along the grass alongside the edge of the Demon Road, the homemade GPS system let out a high pitched beep, letting Frankie know she's in the right place. She's almost an hour early, but Milo is likely to be early too, driving fast, giving them a head start and an opportunity to take it easier later on. 
She didn't have to wait long before the gleaming car rolled into view in the distance, speeding towards her. It neared, and she could just about see Milo in the car, when it's slowed to a stop. Frankie strolled up to the car, the boot opening before she reached for it, she placed her suitcase in and slipped into the car. After greeting Milo, she looked at the girl in the backseat, Amber, that's what Imelda said her name is.

This is going to be a hell of a trip, Frankie thought