Chapter 3 - 1 of 3

Clarke's POV

3 bulletproof vests. 3 people to save. Who was first? Anya. Maybe Finn could've been saved that day with her help, for Raven's sake. I owed that much to her.

179 56 39.4
0 2 46.2
39 03 46.80
-77 53 20.40
14/10/2149
10:23 am

If my predictions were correct I was currently asleep in a hospital bed after reopening my wound. I didn't really have long to sneak to the room I was supposed to be in. I didn't really know where I was. I wondered the halls until I somehow stumbled across the dining room. I knew my way from there. I snuck to medical, managing to catch the door before it shut after the doctor left. I'd waited round the corner for a while. The entire time I was worried someone would find me but they didn't. For a place with such high security they weren't all that smart or secure.

I saw myself, it was weird to see. I was so peaceful for once but I didn't have time to stop I had to keep going. I had to save us, again.

Crawling through the vent as I had years before I found the cages. I still had the vest to hand but once I thought it through I couldn't give it to her now. If I broke the lock and opened the cage I would know something was up. I had to start again.

I was about to restart the watch when I remembered what happened once we escaped, at the river. She woke up before me. I could speak to her and I could swim now. I broke out once again. That incessant beeping before the floor dropped away bore into me. It reminded me of when I let all the radiation into their fortress. Their screams came back to me, as did the screams of praimfaya. I tried to ignore it but suddenly my my chest felt tight and I was struggling to breathe. I was in the cart at he bottom of the pipe. Surrounded by all the dead bodies I calmed myself before climbing out. I'd be no use to anyone while freaking out over something so silly.

I couldn't find my way out of the tunnels without Anya. I knew my way in but that's about it. Lincoln had led us in during the war but Anya had found the way out. I hid the best I could. I didn't know how long I would have to wait for. Waiting was not something I liked doing. Underneath the other cart, that's where I hid. I could hear my heartbeat in my ears I was so scared. What if the reapers got me? I didn't know how often they came to feed. I was shaken from my fears and what ifs when I heard the beeping again. I could hear myself and Anya talking, now I just needed them to split up or something. Before I had a chance I heard a noise, reapers.

I could remember now what happened. After we'd escaped the mountain we'd hid in one of the containers while some reapers wheeled us down the tunnel. After they were distracted we ran. I tried to get Anya to follow me but she snuck off. I'd tried to find her and eventually ran into another horde of reapers where I was 'saved' by some mountain men. Anya had saved me and that's when we were reunited. That point in time when we were apart was my chance to corner her. If I could convince her to put the vest on then I knew she'd be safe later.

I waited until the reapers were gone until I followed the noise. We hadn't needed to wait in the wagon for long. I found them easily thanks to my own talking. I could still hear myself when I watched Anya slip away through another tunnel. I followed her. She searched for ages, managing to side step several hordes of reapers and even search parties of mountain men. She had so much more grace and elegance about her movements that I did. Lexa must've learnt these things from her. I stopped remembering the woman's second when I heard my own screaming. Her head whipped around before she spotted me.

"Anya it's me."
"How? I can hear you screaming."
"I don't have time to explain just please put this on." I made my way towards her with the vest on hand. She was very hesitant to accept it.
"What is this?"
"A bulletproof vest, I'm just here to help."
"Why aren't you helping yourself?"
"Because I didn't the first time around."
"Then who did."
"Who do you think Anya?" She didn't answer me, simply ran past me. I heard the mountain men wail as the radiated air touched their skin. The howls torn through me but I had to get over it and ignore them. I couldn't let it deter me. I had to save Anya, not those monsters. I'd done that, I could leave now.