Chapter 1

Dark walls, moldy corners, rusty bars on the door. Yup. I'm still in the dungeon. Great. It's still not a dream. Yesterday they 'forgot' to feed me, but surprisingly, I'm not hungry. A breeze that came down the other day was fresh and smelled like rain, a smell I've longed for during the long years I've been kept prisoner here. I suspect that one of the guards left the upper door open as he came down to give some food to the other prisoner here. That one breath of fresh air fulfilled me, it almost replenished my submitting soul from accepting the death that is bound to come soon to me. I haven't been hungry since.

I wasn't sure if the other prisoner is a girl or guy, or even their age for a while after they got here. About three years ago, a bunch of guards dragged him/her down here while he/she was unconscious (I could sense their brain activity, another power I've gained since my capture, and I use it to mess with the guards to pass the time). The person woke up about three hours later, unable to speak, they went into a panic frenzy (much like I did when I first realized I was in a cell) and some men had to come and calm it down.

The person didn't act up since then, and I've had some interesting one sided conversations with her, one of them being a yes or no question game. How you would answer was one thump against the metal door for yes and two for no. I got that she was a girl, she didn't know why she can't talk, and that her name started with a K. I guessed for the longest time until the guard on duty at that time told us to shut up.

She has attempted to make conversation since, but the guard always shuts her up, and sadly most of the time it's by forcefully chaining her legs, arms, anything that really moves and can make a thumping sound to the ground. The only time we get to converse is when the man on duty is either asleep or they are switching shifts. After a year though, she just stopped answering. I think either she lost her hearing or the will to live.

Her name is Katie Lynx and she was 8 years old when she came to the dungeon. She is now 11. Doesn't have any parents and her only sibling is somewhere getting tested on because of his mutation. I couldn't guess Katie's mutation before she stopped. Poor thing doesn't deserve to live her life like this so young. At least I had a bit of fun and made some bad decisions before this.

One years after the 'incident'

It's my sixth birthday today. Whoo. Another sucky year survived. My life lately has consisted of making a shelter every other month in a location at least three miles away from my last one. Today is the last day in the place I call home at the moment in Montana. I am planning to head west into western Oregon where I know there will be at least one protected forest. This will be the longest trip I've done yet.

Quickly and efficiently I packed up my stuff and headed in the right direction with a spear in my right hand. The tip was the very flower that got me away from the truck and the only thing I have remaining to remind me of home.

My earth has provided me with the necessary things I need to survive with the only condition being that I stay alongside its beautiful forests until I die or get captured. Lately the predatory birds have been getting sightings of some settlement close by and persuaded me to move out before it was too late.

As I hiked swiftly westward, I caught a rouge sent drifting through the wind. Humans. Ugh. I can't stand the repulsing creatures. I walked a bit more south west to avoid the city I sensed nearby.

Over time, the woods thinned out to nothing and all I had protecting me was the hills and my own wits. Most of the time, though, my eagle Hannah warned me of any impending danger through my link before they are even close to me.

When Hannah was young. Her nest was attacked by another male bird, apparently it was an old friend of her mum's and was sore that he wasn't her mate. I saved Hannah by making her feathers diamond based (back then it was about the only thing I could do) so when she hit the ground, she wasn't harmed. Sadly though, I was only able to save her and her brother. They both were extremely grateful and joined me as my own saviors. A year ago, though, Onan (Hannah's brother) decided to settle for a family and found a beautiful eagle named Dawn that became his mate. We left him at his own request back in North Dakota. Hannah remains my faithful companion today.