Hoseok's Midnight Fright

Scenario: *REQUESTED*

Hoseok: a puppy hybrid scared of the unfamiliar.

You: his new owner ready to do whatever it takes to make him feel at home.

🐶

It wasn't that Hoseok didn't like you

It wasn't that Hoseok didn't like you. He did. Very much so, in fact. From the moment you'd adopted him and welcomed him into your apartment, you had been nothing but warm and caring. He'd been feeling down after his last owner, a lovely old woman who had raised him since he was a pup, passed away. But then you came into his life with kind smiles and banana muffins at breakfast. You let him rest on your shoulder during long movie nights, and always gave him nothing but encouragement whenever he developed new interests. With all the love and security you provided, what more could he possibly want?

But it was the overwhelming positives that brought your relationship to one negative that only he was aware of. Because of your immense care and affection, Hoseok could never bring himself to trouble you with his problems. You did so much for him already on a daily basis, how could he dare to inconvenience you?

This was why, three and a half weeks into his life with you, he found himself in the same position he did every night since his arrival: wide awake under spring green covers, hugging his plush robot to his cowering form. Unlike the previous night, no pounding rain or rumbling thunder assaulted his ears, but the darkness creeping closer from the corners of his bedroom was enough to keep him trembling. For countless nights, he'd taken refuge beneath the blankets the moment you turned off the light and left his room. Every time, your name had almost slipped past his lips, his mind crying a desperate plea for you to stay with him until the morning. But then the thought of you returning from work, eye-bag ridden and sluggish with fatigue, would still his voice, favor unheard. He just couldn't bring himself to bother you. Hoseok would much rather take secret naps in the day time than risk burdening you.

An echoing creak from afar had him perking up, ears pricked, dark tail swishing frantically from its exposed position to beneath the safe comforter. Another floorboard outside of his door squealed in protest, sending Hoseok into a heart-pounding panic as his brain filled with images of midnight monsters coming to harm him. A reel of your shared precious moments played in his mind. Early morning walks through the park hand-in-hand; him winning against you at the dancing games in the arcade; your voice whispering sweat reassurances to him when he had to update his shots; that time he suddenly burst into tears at the thought of never seeing his deceased owner again, and you held him long passed his tears had dried, singing songs and completely messing up the lyrics.

His preparations for the inevitable end came to a screeching stop when a distinctly familiar smell entered his nose. Lavender lotion and banana muffins.

The doorknob clicked and seconds later, your voice whispered into the darkness, "Hoseok? Are you up?" Hesitantly, he peeked around his blanket fortress, meeting gazes with you through the yellow light splashing in from the hallway. "Y/N?"

You pushed the door open wider, diminishing the darkness until you could see his face clearly. Your brows wrinkled in concern as you made your way over to him. "Is something wrong, bud? Your eyes are all red." Hoseok dashed a finger beneath his lashes, finding tears he hadn't known he shed. "O-oh. I'm okay, it... it was just a bad dream." He shuffles to the side for you as you sit down beside him, stroking the soft fur behind a floppy ear. Hoseok nuzzles into your touch and notices something hidden behind your back. "What's that?"

Your grin is bright to him even in the dim lighting as you hold the secret item up for him to see. "It's a nightlight!"

Hoseok blinks at the object, shaped like a tree with the round leaf half white and the "trunk" green, his favorite color. The confused look didn't leave his face, so you explained, "You seemed really tired these past few days and I was wondering why that was, so one night I came to check up on you and you were crying under the covers. why didn't you tell me you were scared of the dark?"

Hoseok's ears folded in on themselves, ashamed of having disappointed you. "I didn't want to trouble you with something so small. I'm sorry I upset you."

"I'm not upset, silly. I just wish you'd told me sooner, is all. You're my friend Hoseok. But more than that, you're my family. If there's anything bothering you, tell me about it. I'll do whatever I can to make it better, no matter how small you think it may be. And in return, you can look after me, too. Deal?" Your hand came up and he eagerly shook it, tail wagging happily to reflect the smile dimpling his cheeks. "Deal!"

"Good. Now, how about we plug this in, hm?" He nodded enthusiastically, tripping over his covers to follow you as you went over to his bedside table, setting the light down and plugging it into the outlet. You gave him the cord, and at your encouraging smile, he flicked the switch. Soft light immediately flooded the room, pushing the shadows—and the monsters residing in them—far, far away.

Hoseok sighed happily, his heart finally calming in his chest. He leaned into your touch when you lovingly scratched  behind his ears. "All better?"

"Mm-hm!" He hugged you around your middle and you giggled, struggling to pull back his covers with him clinging at your back. "Come on, Buddy. Let's get some sleep."

He peeked around your shoulder to meet your eyes, his shining with hope. "You're gonna stay with me?"

"Yep! Hop in before I fall asleep on this floor." He eagerly complied, wiggling across the mattress to leave plenty of room for you. He patted the space in invitation, and you giggled at his adorable giddiness. His cheeks rounded from his beaming grin, tiny dimples popping up at the corners. You poked one after you'd laid beside him, and he snuggled up to you, trapping you between his limbs and nuzzling into your neck. Despite his squeezing and hyper wriggling, there was truly no place you'd rather be.

You kissed him on the forehead. "Goodnight, Hoseok. Sweet dreams."

The darkness never bothered him again.

THE END