Chapter 35

Red Nation: Chapter 35

(A/N Vanessa's Point Of View might seem like it's a lot more mature for her, considering her age. I'm well aware of it but it's just for the purpose of this chapter.)

~The Next Day~
~Vanessa P.O.V.~

"Vanessa, wake up. You need to go get ready." Grandma said as she softly tapped my arm.

"I don't want to Grandma." I sighed, burying my face deep into the pillow. I wish I had ran away when Isabella left 2 nights ago. I didn't want to be here, I wanted to be at my real home.

"I know it's hard. It's hard for everyone but you need to get ready so I can do your hair. Get up Vanessa." I nodded my head and heard her footsteps make their way out of the room till the door closed.

My eyes stung and were always bloodshot. My nose is rubbed raw from using tissues and walking around with tear stains on my cheeks was my new style. My throat is swollen and dry from all the heaving and screaming. I kept this room dark, I didn't want the sunlight burning my eyes.

I got out of bed and grabbed my towel off my closet door and made my way to the bathroom. I wish Isabella was here with me so I didn't feel so alone at Grandma and Grandpa's but she said she couldn't be here anymore and left.

I turned the knob for the hot water and while it was warming up, I looked in the mirror and undid my braid. I smiled at the memory when Daddy would try to braid my hair but would complain that I had too much hair.

The mirror was starting to fog up so I stepped into the shower and feeling the hot water burn my skin, took my mind off the real pain I was going through. I saw red blotches along my arms but ignored them.

***

"I want to wear the red bandana." I said to Grandma as she was curling my hair. I liked when Isabella would curl my hair, she did the really pretty curls, not like what Grandma did.

"Why?"

"Because Daddy always wore his." I held my red bandana in my hands and smiled. "Daddy would wrap it around my nose and mouth, just like his and we'd pretend we were outlaws when we went to Aunty Nelle and Uncle Lexi's house, when they were on their honeymoon and we'd play in the barn." How Daddy would lift me up so I could sit on or pet the horses too. That was always fun.

"I know you two had so many memories together. Hold onto those memories. You can wear your bandana too, let me put it in your hair." I nodded and handed her the bandana. She wrapped it like a headband but kept my curled bangs on the outside while the rest of my hair was kept behind my shoulders. "Go grab your sweater and I'll meet you in the car." She said.

I went back to my room and grabbed my sweater before walking out the car and sitting in the backseat, patiently waiting.

***

We arrived at the mortuary so we could see Daddy one last time before he was taken to the church for the ceremony.

I stepped out of the car and felt someone grab my hand.

"Hey 'Nessa." Uncle Arlie said with a smile as he crouched down to my level and gave me a hug.

"Hi Uncle Arlie." He let me go but still held my hand. "Have you seen Isabella?"

"She's already here. She's sitting with Trey." I nodded my head and we started walking into the building.

All eyes were on me.

"You want to see your Dad one last time?" What about Mommy?

"Yes." I said with a small nod. As we kept getting closer to the casket, I could feel my tears welling up in my eyes. Uncle Arlie let go of my hand and I hopped up onto the step.