Chapter 7

Chapter 7:

I opened my eyes slowly, allowing the soft morning light to filter through my window and gently illuminate the room. Mornings were never my favorite part of the day, but they were an inevitable prelude to the moments that truly mattered. To reach the pinnacle of the day's joys and accomplishments, I had to navigate through the mundane routines of the morning. Determined to steal a few precious moments of slumber, I had abandoned the use of an alarm clock, hoping to indulge in a complete dream. Alas, my efforts were in vain, as the elusive realm of dreams remained just beyond my reach. Lately, my nights had been devoid of any vivid visions, perhaps a blessing in disguise. The singular focus dominating my thoughts was my new job, brimming with responsibilities unlike any I had encountered before.

In the past, my endeavors had revolved around stocking shelves or tidying homes, but now, I find myself entrusted with the care of animals. Whenever confronted with an unfamiliar task, a flutter of anxiety would inevitably seize me. Overthinking even the simplest of matters became second nature, a trait that perpetually haunted my mind. Clad in my comfortable pajamas, I descended the staircase, praying that Ron's friends had not chosen this night to spend at our place, for the sight of me in such attire would have been rather embarrassing. The television droned on, its volume competing against the silence of an empty room. In the kitchen, Ron busied himself with the creation of hot chocolate, a warm gesture that mirrored the comforting embrace of routine. Catching sight of my groggy presence, he graciously prepared a cup for me, understanding my penchant for this cocoa elixir as an alternative to my usual morning juice. Balancing the steaming mug in my hands, I sought solace in the living room, where Ron joined me, the remote control becoming an extension of his hand. Savoring the rich aroma and creamy texture of my drink, I took a cautious sip, only to be greeted by an unexpected burn as the scalding chocolate grazed my tongue.

Glancing sideways, I noticed Ron indulging in his own mug, his lips unyieldingly pressed against the rim as he gulped down his potion in one swift motion. Suppressing a smile, I turned my attention back to the flickering images on the television screen, attempting another sip. However, from the corner of my eye, I detected Ron stealing glances in my direction. Each time I swiveled my head to meet his gaze, he hastily redirected his focus, feigning innocent absorption in the program. His mischievous smirk, though concealed, betrayed his inner amusement, as if he were striving to stifle a laugh. Playfully, I playfully slapped his arm, reveling in this shared morning repartee that had become an endearing part of our routine.

The room was permeated with an atmosphere of playful tension as I uttered the words, "Stop it," unable to suppress my growing giggles as I slapped his arm.

His response was almost imperceptible, a muttered remark under his breath, "You hit like a girl," breaking the momentary silence.

I glanced over at him, observing as he scooted a few inches away from me, raising his hands in a mock surrender. However, the silence that followed was soon broken as he closed the gap between us, our arms now touching. Taking a sip, I turned my gaze towards him, finding him looking back at me with an anxious smile.

The exchange continued, his eagerness palpable as he inquired, "So when do you want to pick up Trish?" I responded with a flat voice, noting that it wasn't even noon yet. Unfazed, he quickly pressed, "I think we should leave in ten minutes." His urgency made me laugh, an attempt to conceal my annoyance. Without missing a beat, he retorted, "The longer she is here, the longer I can look at her."

With a touch of sarcasm, I replied, "Oh, well in that case, let me rush upstairs and get my shoes."

It was clear that he had struck a nerve as he remarked, "You're not very friendly in the morning, are you?"