days essay

Burke 1

Adie Burke
10/10/18
first period
Mrs.Day

Social Justice Essay

Social justice was and still is a big issue in the world's society. This plays a huge role in Harper Lee's controversial novel, To Kill a Mockingbird. Harper Lee feels that the social justice in the 1930s was downright awful. Even in today's society the social justice system is unbalanced. Certain people get more opportunities than others due to being a certain race, gender, or anything else that would set them aside from being the "norm". Harper Lee's perspective on social justice is demonstrated throughout the novel through Atticus Finch's honesty and honorability.

In To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee presents the idea that honesty is demonstrated by telling the truth, even if people judge you for it. Atticus is determined to let the true events that happened at the Ewell house be told. Atticus will do everything in his power to protect his client. The text states, "'Link, that boy might go to the chair, but he's not going till the truth is told." Atticus's voice was even. " and you know what the truth is.'" (166). Atticus is a very determined man when it comes to being honest. In this situation, he is determined to keep Tom Robinson safe. Before the trial and during it Atticus is very adamant about getting the truth out. Atticus is a very honest man in every aspect of his life including his children. Atticus is always honest when his children ask him something, even in serious matters such as the Tom Robinson case. The text states, "'No, honey.' 'Then why-' ' simply because we were licked a hundred years before we started is no reason for us not to try to win,' Atticus said." (87) When Scout asks if Tom Robinson is going to win the case, Atticus is very blunt with her. However, he goes on to say that just because race issues started a hundred years before, does not mean that they should just "roll over and die". People today have to face race issues and if they were to just "roll over and die" we would not get anywhere as a society.

Also In To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee presents the idea that honorability is demonstrated by staying true to oneself even if people put down ones credibility for it. Atticus is a very honorable man. He even gets his children to be honorable people. The text states, "'Jem... I destroyed his last shred of credibility at the trial... so if spitting in my face and threatening me saved Mayella Ewell one extra beating,...you understand?" (249). Atticus is making Jem see things or at least try to see things through Mr.Ewell eyes. Atticus knows if Mr.Ewell did not take his anger out on him, he would have taken it out on Mayella or any of his other kids. Therefore he does the honorable thing and takes the name calling and the spit. Atticus thinks in a different way than most in this time period. He thinks about more than just himself. Atticus does this a countless amount of times throughout the novel including when he pleads to the jury. The text states, "I'm no idealist...do your duty.'" (233). Atticus knows that Tom will not be ruled innocent, yet he pleads for the men of the jury to be honorable and put skin color aside. He's begging them to do the honorable thing. He understands that everyone knows that Tom is innocent, and what the jury is doing is completely wrong. Atticus has already done right thing by Tom Robinson. He clearly proved Tom was innocent, he just needed the jury to be honorable in their decision. Atticus Finch was a man too early for his time.

Social justice in the 1930s was very toxic. It would only help white males. In some instances people would say that even today's social justice system is almost the exact same as then. The world has come a long way in social justice. Had it remained in the mindset of that of the 1930s, the world's society would be completely different. The world would not have any diversity. Harper Lee helps us understand that she wishes social justice was more honest and honorable. Social justice needed to change and Harper Lee knew that.