CH. 27May/23/2016

Valeria woke up to the alarm on the side of her bed. She turned it off as quickly as she could to save herself from its annoying sound. She then laid there, staring at the ceiling like she always did for the past few years. She felt the other side of the bed move as Stefano got up. He went to her side and picked her up. He set her down on the chair and went over to her closet. He stepped out with several different dresses for her to choose from.

"I think the red one today. With the white tights and red flats." Valeria said quietly. Stefano smiled a little before he put the others away. He then helped her get dressed like he always did for the past few years. Stefano carried her to the kitchen and helped her cook. They sat at the table and exchanged words as they ate. Valeria and Stefano got themselves ready for the day. After a few minutes, Stefano carried her to a wheelchair that sat outside.

"What would you like to do Valeria?" Stefano asked. All Valeria could think of was walking and dancing. Doing art and playing the piano. She sighed quietly knowing that her life with legs is long gone.

"The weather is nice today. The spring rain is over, and it's turning into summer. Is there anything happening at the park?" She asked. Stefano smiled a little.

"Let's find out." He replied. He pushed the wheelchair to the park. It was rather quiet when they arrived. Stefano continued to push her down the path while Valeria looked around at the flower beds.

"Could I sit down on one of those benches?" She asked.

"Of course." Stefano replied as he stopped next to a bench. He carefully picked her up and gently placed her onto the bench before sitting next to her. Valeria closed her eyes and let her imagination run through her mind.

"What are you thinking about mia cara?" Stefano said. Valeria smiled before she opened her eyes.

"A world of beauty. Full of pure creation. That is limited, only by imagination. A world who's very fabric can be shaped." Valeria said before she looked at Stefano.

"If such a world existed, would you create it with me?" Valeria asked. Stefano smiled.

"Of course I would. A place covered by night with the light of the moon." Stefano said.

"The twilight sun frozen in time in the distance touching the ocean of a crimson shore. Bits of the mainland broken off and scattered like floating islands." Valeria replied.

"Our art displayed throughout an abandoned town. Roses grow across the land and crows will perch on the branches of dead trees. A house on a hill, where we can create new beautiful pieces." Stefano said. Valeria looked around and saw a few children run past. She remembered what the doctor told them. That she would be unable to have kids. The thought of never having kids with Stefano tied a knot in her throat. She tried to think of something else, but didn't know what. She sighed quietly before looking at Stefano.

"Could we go to the art center? Not like there would be anything good but you never know." She said. Stefano nodded his head before he picked her up and gently placed her back in her wheelchair. Stefano looked at the people walking by. Especially the kids. He knew that Valeria would never be able to have children. He knew how much she wanted one. He wanted to start a family as well. He imagined them having twins. Ones that would be just as talented as their parents. They entered the almost empty art center. He took her through each room.

"Everything looks the same. Same trees, same clouds, even the organized trash." Valeria said as they entered the last room. Stefano smiled at her comment. It was true after all. They eventually left the boring art center and went to the opera house so that Valeria could talk to Beth and Stela for a bit before watching them dance for a while. They eventually went back home as the sun started to set. They ate dinner together without a word. Valeria was thinking about how Stefano would spend his life. He never made art since that night after the performance. He helped her get dressed for bed. He kissed her goodnight before falling asleep. Valeria stared at the ceiling thinking about the next day and the day after that. It would be the same every day. Same routine year after year. She then started crying. Stefano woke up and looked at her with concern.

"Valeria, are you ok? What's troubling you?" He asked. Valeria tried to control herself.

"I can't do this anymore Stefano. It hurts to see you bearing all of my troubles on your shoulders. I'm taking everything from you. All of your time, money. You haven't made any art for years." Valeria said between breaths. Stefano got closer to her to wipe away her tears.

"You're not taking away my time or money Valeria. I want to take care of you. I love you Valeria. You know that, don't you?" He said. Valeria placed her hand gently on the side of his face.

"I love you too Stefano. I see how hard you work to get me through each day. To make sure that I'm comfortable. But what quality of life do I have? What quality of life am I giving you?" Valeria said as she stared into his eye. Stefano knew what she was thinking. He didn't like it.

"Valeria.    No. I'm not going to let you kill yourself." He said as he felt the knot in his throat tighten.

"I just want to be free. I want you to live a life where you are not my slave. I just      can't go on like this." Valeria said as she watched tears fall down Stefano's face.

"Your art is beautiful Stefano. I want you to be who you've always been: an artist. I want you to make marvelous pieces again." Valeria said she wiped his tears away from his face. Stefano was quiet as he replayed Valeria's words in his mind. He tossed his life aside for Valeria. Because making art was worth not nearly as much compared to Valeria. He struggled to find words as he looked into her eyes.

"I want one more day Valeria. One more day with you. To do the things we did years ago. I want you to live   one last time." Stefano said. Valeria reached out and managed to wrap her arms around him. Stefano had to use all of his strength to not cry as he held Valeria close to him.

"I don't want you to suffer Valeria. I love you too much." He whispered. His heart felt like it was burning. He was going to lose the only person in the world that he truly cared about. It was almost unbearable. He wasn't ready to say goodbye.