At The Pico Inn - (S2:E1)

The common room of the Pico Inn buzzed with mirth. In the far corner, weathered men sat around a table, tossing coins into the center and laughing at the misfortune of one of the gamblers. Along the wall next to them, a young maiden with golden hair sang a frolicking song about a short man and his endearing love for his stove. As she reached the punchline of a verse about the jealousy of the man's wife, clapped her hands and kicked out one foot, the crowd in front of her roared with laughter. To the far right of the singing maiden, the barkeep kept flagons full for the hunched men sitting silently at his bar.

Zel sat alone at a small table in the corner nearest the door. From there he watched the patrons for any suspicious behavior and monitored the door without fear of anyone approaching from behind. He held his mug in both hands, elbows on the table, and sipped the mead slowly. His stomach churned. Whether from anxiety, bad food, or the effects of the tainted blade, he could not tell. Keeping his food down had become a daily exercise.

The Master Sword hung from the back of his chair, corroded, full of breaks and chips, but no longer oozing black toxins. Now straightened from the incident with the pedestal, Zel and Adara had found an old scabbard sufficient to hold it. A careful combination of leather and dear horn shards made a tightly stitched covering to hide the winged cross guard and yellow diamond. A thin cord wrapped the hilt and an iron cap had been placed over the pommel.

To look at it no one would suspect it to be the lost sword of legend. To look at it no one would think the sword to be virtually unusable. For that reason, Zel took special care to avoid anyone with delusions of sport. Even if he wanted to defend himself with the Master Sword, he didn't know how to use it. Just the thought of holding it made him more sick.

A hooded figure entered, too slight to be a man but taller than most women. A few people glanced her way before returning to their chosen form of entertainment or misery. Zel cut his eyes back to the singing maiden so as not to be too obviously watching the woman. A moment later, she sat opposite him.

Adara pushed back her hood and shook her black hair free. Having ditched her captain's uniform and dyed her hair black with berries, Zel wasn't sure she had done enough to not be recognized. Though it wasn't uncommon for women to wear trousers and carry a sword, Adara couldn't help but carry herself in a way that betrayed her training.

Zel met her blue eyes and eased his mug to the table, hoping the nausea didn't show on his face. It was definitely the taint of the sword this time. He shoved down the bubble of rot and concentrated on Adara. The urgency on her face was obvious.

"Trouble?" he asked.

"A patrol," she said. "They don't know we're here, though. They're checking in at the stable now."

Zel nodded and stood. As he slung the toxic Master Sword onto his back, Adara rose, pulled the hood back over her head, and turned for the door. Before they could move, two soldiers came in, one wearing a bright red cape.

Adara mumbled something and spun away. She eased back into her seat and Zel followed.

"That's a problem," Adara whispered. "I trained him."

"Great." Zel sighed. "What do we do?"

"Wait until they sit with some drinks and ease out."

Behind Adara, the officer had begun measuring each inn patron with his eyes. "I don't think he's here to drink," said Zel.

Adara ground her teeth and eyed the table. Behind her, the officer had spotted them. He narrowed his eyes and walked their direction. Zel kept his attention on his drink and took a casual sip.

"You there," said the officer from behind Adara as the other soldier waited one step to the side and two behind. "Lower your hood."

He placed his gloved hand on her shoulder and Adara shot Zel a dangerous scowl. "Time to go," she said.