20

Neris watched as Jack ripped the paper off the presents, his face cracking with a wide smile

Neris watched as Jack ripped the paper off the presents, his face cracking with a wide smile. Apparently, turning ten meant how many years Jack had been alive for. The merfolk had no such tradition. Instead of celebrating each year, they celebrated things in a group. They didn't celebrate the first nineteen years of a mermaid or merman's life, but when they reached nineteen they were granted a place in the merfolk society and released from schooling.

Some counted, others were content to just wait until they were given a job.

Neris had been a counter, as a princess when she reached nineteen she knew she would reach marriage. So Neris had counted so she knew how much time she had left. It turns out, knowing it was going to happen didn't lesson the blow at all. If anything, it made it slightly worse. It didn't help that her calculations had been off and she'd missed four of five days.

Obviously she'd felt pretty bad, as Neris had run away from her responsibility which was what had gotten her into this entire mess.

But Neris couldn't mention any of this to anyone, not today anyway. Not when Jack was celebrating and Martha was looking so pleased that she'd pulled the party off. Alexander also looked happy enough. The only other person here was Martha's mother. It seemed poor Jack didn't have many friends, but that didn't seem to bother him too much.

He was currently thanking Alexander for the miniature suit. It seemed the prince thought Jack needed one. In Neris's opinion it just made Jack look ridiculous but she wouldn't dare to say that to anyone around her. So Neris smiled and told Jack that it looked great. Which it did, but the resemblance to Alexander was scary. To Jack though, it would be a thing of pride to look like his brother who he loved so much.

But he seemed to like it, his dimples and missing tooth showing when he smiled at Alexander.

"Thanks Alex!" He exclaimed and threw his scrawny arms around his brother.

"You're welcome Jack." Alexander replied cordially patting his brother on the back as the air was squeezed out of him.

I can feel your amusement. Alexander grumbled in Neris's mind.

I just think it's cute. She lied.

I can tell when you lie, Neris.

Well, that's annoying. She sighed. I guess I'll have to tell you the truth then.

That would be preferable.

I'll tell you later. She smirked at the prince over his brother.

Works for me, Neris could feel Alexander's sadness for a moment then it disappeared, I have something to tell you too.