Carnal Desires

A lamp on the bedside table illuminated the room, and a soft breeze could be felt in the air as it drafted through the window past the light curtains. Ae entered the room quietly, noticing that Pete had gone to bed; his whole body, even his head, was covered by the stripy duvet. He thought his boyfriend somehow resembled a small child hiding from their parent for stealing a cookie, but, he knew that Pete was no child, and they didn't have any cookies.

"Pete, are you already asleep?" Ae sat down gently on the edge of the mattress, lightly tapping the mass of duvet. Their earlier interaction on the sofa had been somewhat short-lived and anti-climactic, and Ae wondered whether the stubborn behaviour Pete was showing him now was some kind of rebellion against him.

Slightly defiant from receiving no response from the duvet, he spoke again.

"Are you mad at me or something?"

Pete scowled beneath the covers, turning away from Ae. "You are so mean to me," he pouted, knowing his playground response was weak, but it was also true. Ae had been mean to him. He'd kissed him and then just walked away without considering his needs. In Pete's mind, that gave him every permission to be upset.

"What did I do?" Ae responded, softer this time, hoping to coax Pete out of his duvet cocoon.

It worked, and fluffy hair followed by a scowling face appeared from beneath the covers, glaring not-so-scarily at him. Pete's intimidation face more resembled an angry kitten than a lion and was framed oddly by the soft pillows.

"Don't you know that you're mean?" He questioned, wondering how Ae was so oblivious.

The other boy's response was very logical.

"If you don't tell me, how will I know?" His eyebrows drew together. After a pause, Pete sat up and shifted closer to Ae. He had a point, he thought, even though he wouldn't admit it.

"When you did that earlier..." Pete began, his voice soft but indignant, "did you have any idea how excited I was for tonight? Knowing that you were going to stay here." He made eye contact with Ae, maintaining the perfect pout on his soft lips. "I even cleaned it for you..."

Pete was no stranger to the game of seduction. He knew very well that 'acting cute', as Ae would put it, was a very effective way of swaying his boyfriend's mood. Thus, as he ended his sentence, he cast his eyes toward the duvet as though it was his only comfort, sighing in a dejected, pitiful tone, "never mind, I'm going to bed now," as he went to return to his cocoon.

But, Ae grabbed his arm before he could go anywhere, and chuckled.

"Hang on, what did you say?" An expression mixed of surprise and revilement was present on his face. Was this seriously all Pete was worried about? His eyes took in the other boy's forlorn face with slight amusement.

Pete returned Ae's gaze. Seeing the gentle laughter in his eyes, he believed he was not being taken seriously, which fuelled his indignation and strengthened his pout.

"You promised me we would do it next time," he whined, "so... I waited." His gaze was steady on Ae's. "When I knew you were coming, I prepared myself. Do you have any idea how nervous I have been?"

Receiving no response from Ae, who, unbeknown to Pete, was struggling to stop himself from exploding at this knowledge, he continued.

"But then you postponed it again by saying, 'there is a class tomorrow... there is a class tomorrow... there is a class tomorrow...'"

Unable to continue listening to Pete's plight, Ae pulled him into a comforting hug. He had realised his mistake, but also wished to defend his decision. It had been for Pete's sake, after all. After a moment, he spoke.