11. christmas

     CHRISTMAS WAS JUST AROUND THE corner and Harper was packing her trunk

     CHRISTMAS WAS JUST AROUND THE corner and Harper was packing her trunk. She would go home for the holidays to celebrate it with Remus and Dorcas. She felt guilty about leaving Harry behind, but was thankful that Ron was staying, too.

When her trunk was packed, she pulled it downstairs with her together with Dale's cage, and headed for the Great Hall. She had still some time before the Hogwarts Express would leave. Glancing around, she saw Harry and Ron playing chess at the Gryffindor table.

"Worst decision you could have made," Harper said, as she sat down next to her brother. "Ron's unbeatable in chess."

Harry grunted as Ron took one of his knights. "Yeah, I noticed." He then glanced at her trunk. "You're going home?"

"Yeah."

"Where do you live?" Harry asked, frowning. "I was actually going to ask that ages ago, but I forgot."

"I live with my godmother," Harper said, as it was technically Dorcas' house. "You should come by sometimes. She would love you!"

Harry smiled. "I'll keep that in mind."

"I see you've packed," Ron said, looking at something behind the twins.

Harper turned around and saw that Hermione had arrived with her trunk.

"I see you haven't," Hermione replied. "You can help Harry look for Nicolas Flamel when we're gone. Owl us if you find anything." She then looked at Harper. "We have to go, otherwise we'll miss the Express."

Harper sighed and gave Harry and Ron a hug. "See you after the holidays and Merry Christmas, you two."

They smiled. "Merry Christmas, Harp."

Harper took her trunk and Dale's cage and followed Hermione out of the Great Hall. As soon as they were out of view, Harper leaned closer to her and whispered, "I bet you ten galleons that they won't find anything."

She chuckled. "Probably."

• ✧ •

HERMIONE AND HARPER SHARED AN empty compartment and, as soon as they sat down, the former opened her trunk and took out several books that looked suspiciously like the ones they kept in the library.