8. Questions

"SEALLY I NEED TO TALK TO YOU!" I screamed as I strode through the palace halls to Seally's office. Christian was there knelt on the ground cleaning Damens blood out of the carpet while Seally organized his table of scrolls. Christian looked up at me and groaned.

"What's wrong now?" He asked.

"I need to talk to Seally."

"I'll leave you to that then." Christian stated as he grabbed his rag and bucket and bolted from the room. Seally looked up from his scrolls with a raised eyebrow.

"What is it?" He asked. "Why are you so upset?"

"Did you cast a spell on me?" I asked.

"Depends, what do you qualify as a spell?"

"Any type of demonic magic trickery. Did you?"

"Then yes, yes I did. In fact I think I've cast several but I can never keep track."

"Why?" 

"For your own protection. I promised you that I would keep you safe, didnt I? Your welcome."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I knew you would freak out. Who told you?"

Melody raised her hand silently and Seally sighed as he put away his scrolls.

"I knew you would be trouble." He groaned as he glared Melody down who in turn just smiled slyly and left the room. "Look Y/n, its noting for you to worry about. My spells are harmless."

"I'm not mad about that." I stated. "I already had a sneaking suspicion that you had cast some sort of magic over me."

"Then why are you mad?" Seally asked and I sighed as I sat down on the nearest armchair, a grand red one with velvet armrests.

"Damen told me about the rogue monsters. He told me about how they are attacking the village and how they are looking for you. They want to kill you."

"Don't believe everything you hear." Seally stated.

"So he's wrong?"

"No, he's right but its nothing you have to worry about. There have always been monsters after me but those monsters are not the greatest of character. They are violent and the only reason they dislike me is because they think I am too lieniant with the human kind."

"What do you mean?"

"To put it short, those monsters just hate humans and want to destroy the human villages so they can expand the forest. I for one think this is an awful idea because we forest people rely on a lot of the human offerings to keep the forest flourishing with life. Without the offerings the forest would turn as dead and dry as a desert."

"Why didn't you tell me about this?" I asked. After spending a whole year with Seally I thought I knew him pretty well but that was apparently not the case.

"No reason in particular. I just didn't want you to worry." Seally said and then there was a long minute of silence where no one spoke. I looked around Seally's office at the heavy set chairs, the grand table, and the millions upon millions of books and scrolls filed away on shelves that jutted out of the wall.

"Its late." I muttered finally even though in truth the sun was just barely starting to set. "I'm going to go help make dinner." And with that I turned to leave but I stopped in the doorway and turned back. "Are there any more secrets you are keeping from me?" I asked.

"You are just going to have to trust me." Was Seallys reply and I left quickly while still contemplating the fact that Seally had refused to answer either yes or no.

 After dinner was made I took two plates up to Melody's room since it had come to pass that the girl would refuse to eat unless I was in the room with her. Luckily she still didn't insist on me hand feeding her which I was thankful for. Entering the room, I sat down on the bed next to her and handed her a bowl of soup which she took quietly.

"What do you think of Seally?" I asked Melody since I was curious as to how he would appear to an outsider.

"He seems fine." Said Melody as she blew on a hot spoonful of soup. "Kinda scary but also kinda nice."

"I think so too but I can never be certain. He keeps a lot to himself afterall."

"He's the king. Secrets are to be expected."

"I realize that."

I sighed as I continued to eat my soup. The vegetables from Seally's garden at least had some use since they provided us with flavorful greens for soups and stews. We ate quietly with me finishing my bowl long before Melody finished hers. Melody ate like a bird in small and slow amounts. When her bowl was about halfway empty she put down her spoon and turned to me.

"Can you do me a favor?" She asked.

"What is it?"

"There is somewhere I want to go."

"In the castle?"

Melody shook her head. "In the woods."

I stopped for a second and stared at her. "You want to go in the woods?" She nodded.

"It isn't far and it won't take long but I really want you to go with me."

"...I don't know. I need to ask Seally first."

"If you ask he will just say no. Please just come with me. Just this once." She begged and I suddenly found I could not look her in the eyes because if I did I would most certainly give in and agree to go.

"Where do you want to go?" I asked.

"An old mushroom grove. There's a portal in the back that will get us pretty close. Will you please come with me?"

I sighed as I suddenly realized that there was no way of saying no.

"Fine. I'll meet you by the portal circle at sunrise tomorrow morning. We will have to go early before Seally gets up."

Melody smiled and put down her bowl as she wrapped her arms around me in a tight hug.

"Thank you so much." She whispered into my chest as she pulled away and I got up to leave. Stepping back into the hall I groaned at having been so easily manipulated like that but at the same time I was curious as to what kind of place Melody would want to go to. Perhaps it is where she spent her life in isolation, but why would she want to go there? As I slowly pondered the sun quickly fell and night overcame the castle.