Chapter 14

"You're late," Tassot grumbled.

Mikolus pulled the reigns of his horse. "I apologize, Tassot and I appreciate you being up so early to meet me."

Tassot shrugged one shoulder. "I would be up soon anyway. What kept you?"

"The horse was nervous this morning. Not sure what has gotten into her." That was true, but he did not mention that he had slept a bit too long. Tassot did not need to know that. As he climbed off the bench that sat above his wagon, he glanced at the animal. She still seemed to be uncomfortable. Whites shone all the way around her eyes, as if she was ready to run. He patted her neck with a gloved hand. It was still dark out, though most of the night had passed, and Mitsy was accustomed to pulling the wagon in the wee hours of the morning.

"It's a full moon," Tassot said with all the certainty of a superstitions fool. "Full moons are always uncertain."

Mikolus followed his cousin's gaze. The moon was high, but he couldn't keep his eye on it. Three houses away, the faint glow of the shimmer reflected off of the lake. He shivered in the night's chill despite the heavy jacket he wore. At least the moon cast light over everything. It would make the trip to the city that much easier. It was The Shimmer that unnerved him, not the moon.

Tassot helped him stack the barrels of salted fish onto his wagon. He clasped arms with the other man. "Thank you, cousin. You save me much time, and you make more at the market than even Marta could manage."

The men clasped each other's arms. They were of a height. Many people mistook them for brothers, which was close enough to the truth. They had the same dark hair and eyes, but Tassot's face was wider and his nose a little smaller. "I am the one who should be thanking you."

His cousin sighed. "When you can buy a ship again, I will understand if you no longer want to sell my fish."

Mikolus smiled, seating himself back on the bench above the barrels of fish. He was glad to be leaving this place, if even for a day. If he ever made enough money, he would move his family to the city, away from the creepy glow. Unfortunately, the road passed very close to the shimmer before straightening out and heading away. Mitsy shook her head, her breath visible. She did not like to be near the shimmer either.

The road was painted in blue moonlight, and he squinted to make out anything. He thought he saw a shape ahead him, standing in the road. Was that a woman? He blinked and the image was gone. He breathed heavily. He was letting his imagination get ahead of him. He forced himself to calm. Mitsy would feed off of his fear. He did not want to think about what would happen to his wares if a spooked horse ran off with them.

Then he heard the crunch of someone walking through the underbrush. The trees had dropped most of their leaves and walking silently had become impossible.

"Hello?" He called out, but no one responded. He glanced behind him. The light of Tassot's home was lost in the distance. He considered turning around, but what would he tell him? That he was frightened of noises in the forest?

He rolled his shoulders to loosen the knot that had formed between them. He thought he heard breathing behind him. He turned, but nothing was in his path. His cousin's superstitions rang in his mind. Full moons are always uncertain. It was something he had heard his aunt say too many times for it not to ring in his mind now. She had always said that they would either bring someone great fortune or calamity. It was never anything in the middle.

Just to ease his mind, for he doubted very much that there was anything in this forest, he pulled the knife that he always kept on his belt and held it clutched in one fist. Behind him something yelped, and he knew for certain that he was not alone. Something was behind him. He turned and stood on the small platform above his horse.