Diary entry 5

January 5th, 2017

Dear diary,
In the comfort of the aroma of the coffee and the peaceful mood which filled the cafe, I drank my coffee quietly and thought of the precious air that I'm blessed with.  The glass window separated me from the rest of the busy world as I spectate the people that walked by outside. Two people held hands and smiled as they walked by, they were a couple, consisting of a woman and man, I assumed that they were in their twenties. A young man walked by, as he wore bright flamboyant clothes and had a camera, against his chest, hanging from a strap and around his neck. Finally, I saw a middle aged man who stopped and stood by the bin, away from the current of the crowd and took out, from his back pocket, a packet of cigarettes and lighter. He lit up a cigarette and started to smoke, he was later joined by a woman.

The both of them, stood there and smoked for a only around a minute before a family of three, with supposedly  a mother, father and young son younger than five. He held the hands of both his parents and chirped away as he smiled. But, as he passed the man and woman who were smoking, he started coughing and covered his nose and mouth with his hands.  His parents stopped and patted him on his back then quickly rushed him away from the smoking man and woman. They both simultaneously looked at their cigarettes in their and up at the boy's back as he walked away. Both of them picked up the cigarettes they stepped on and threw it in the bin, looked at each other and chuckled as a goodbye as their backs turned against each other's and got further apart.

The two of them left me with lots of questions. Did they quit smoking? Was that a sign for those two to stop smoking? Did that boy change their lives? Nevertheless, I'm sure that, that encounter had a significant effect on their lives. The thought of how one meeting can change a person's life, maybe not even a person but also for animals, for the better or the worse.

Violet