Chapter 3

Two big tow trucks came to us and took our cars away to a repair shop. Matthew's parents came and apologized and said their insurance would foot the repair bill. I gave Matthew my cell phone number and he said they would call me once my car is repaired.

****

Three days after the accident, on Thursday, my phone rings while I'm sitting on my bed doing homework after my shift at the café.

"Hello?" I use my shoulder to press the phone to my ear as I solve a Pre-Cal math problem. I'm a year ahead in math, so these problems can get pretty tricky.

"Hey! Is this Grace?" A smooth voice asks.

"Yes." I reply as I check my problem.

"This is Matthew." Just the mention of his name sends butterflies into my stomach.

"Oh..uh..hey." I wince. He must think I'm a stammering idiot!

"Your car is ready to be picked up at the repair shop," he tells me.

"Okay, great! Thanks for letting me know," I say as I'm about the hang up.

"If you want I can come pick you up and give you a--" I cut him off.

"No, don't worry about it. You don't need to do that. My parents can give me a lift." I tell him even though every ounce of me wants him to pick me up.

"No, please, it's the least I can do," he pleads.

"Um...sure." My insides start bubbling with joy. I give him the directions to my house and we agree for him to pick me up in ten minutes. I scream with excitement into my pillow.

"Oh wait! I'm in sweats and my hair is a mess!" I say out loud to myself. I frantically run around my room. I slip on clean jeans, a cute blouse, and my flats. I prefer a natural look because I dress modestly, so I just brush my hair and put some concealer on the dark circles under my eyes.

The doorbell rings.

-----

Please let me know in the comments is you are enjoying the story ;)