Chapter 2: Danny Torrance

Six year old Danny Torrance, who had straight brown hair and eyes that gleamed like emeralds, was quite an isolated child, he liked to keep to himself. He didn't make friends easily.

His only friend was Tony, who he describes as "the little boy that lives in my mouth". Tony was his imaginary friend, a fragment of his wild imagination, who communicates through his finger in a croaky voice.

"Do you think Dad will get the job?" Danny asked Wendy, with a look of curiosity on his face.

"I'm not sure, but I sure hope he does.." Wendy said dismally, then paused for a second. She then continued "What about Tony, does he think your dad will get the job?".

"I don't know Mrs Torrance" Danny said in a rough tone, while wagging his finger.

"Well, lets just wait and see" Wendy giggled, while drinking her coffee from a blue mug that Jack had bought her last Christmas.

                                     ***

Jack arrived at the elegant Overlook Hotel around noon, just in perfect time for his interview. The skies ahead were a beautiful shade of blue, with not a cloud in the sky. It was a crisp and cold September afternoon, and the leaves had now turned a glorious shade of orange. The hotel was located up in the Rocky Mountains, around 80 miles from the nearest town.

He parked his battered, yellow Volswagon car next to the entrance, then walked in a slow pace to the black, metal doors.

The lobby was an open space, with expensive chandeliers hanging from the roof. The white marble floor had a native American pattern, and the walls where decorated on native American art.

"Hello sir, how can I help you" smiled a lady behind the check in desk, who was of short stature.

"Hi, my name is Jack Torrance, I've got an appointment with Mr Ullman" Jack nervously replied, while straightening his tweed Jacket.

"Oh, his office is the second door on the right, just that way sir" said the lady behind the desk, while pointing to a hallway"