Like she didn't need it

Song: Stranger Still - Blossoms

"Where have you been? I've been texting and calling you since yesterday morning!"

Agnes ignored the girl's apparent annoyance. She didn't even flinch when she walked into her room and found Natalia already in there. She had expected so much after she finally turned her phone on again and found all the unanswered texts and missed calls.

"Yeah, sorry. Had my phone off."

"You didn't even tell me you were going away. We planned a sleepover, remember?"

"No. Must have forgotten."

Natalia got up out of her spot to grab Agnes' arm. This stopped her determination to play with every object in sight and got her to turn around.

"What is wrong? Why are you acting so strange? Agnes talk to me!"

"I was with Mr. Robinson."

Natalia dropped her hand. Her expression fell. Her concern was now replaced with coldness. Agnes didn't completely understand why she said that. Lately she seemed to be letting things slip out of her mouth before she really thought things through. Perhaps she had wanted to shut the other girl up. Her concern was angering Agnes because she felt like she didn't need it. She had slept with Mr. Robinson and that was a prize that made all the other words spoken and events hard to remember.

"Truly?"

Natalia often questioned things.

"I had a far better time with him than I could have had with you."

The sadness and confusion and anger and disrespect and regret that Natalia felt put the windows in danger of breaking. She felt she might scream, so she kept her mouth closed tight until she had composed herself.

"You're my best friend", she started. "Why are you saying such hurtful things? You couldn't possibly mean them."

"Oh, but I do" Agnes stated coldly. "You're always trying to get in between Mr. Robinson and I. I'm so sick of it! You're so selfish and you don't understand anything. Best friends are supposed to understand each other. That's why we can't be best friends anymore. I don't want to see you ever again."

Natalia must have been the only one feeling anything, because as she rushed out of the room Agnes stared at the floor blankly. She didn't feel pain, or regret, or at loss.

She felt nothing as the one person who been there for her, and who knew her better than anyone, left her house and walked out of her life forever