Chapter Five

RABBIT

Craig and Deran picked up J at the beach. The rest of us were waiting for them at our favorite restaurant. When they walked in, I spotted the infamous 'girlfriend' of J. The one he spent all his time with and quite frankly, we didn't trust her. Craig and Deran met her once on the beach and from what they said: she was a groupie from the start. She was a cutie, though. Thick, too. I'd pegged him a lover of skinny bitches, but this girl had a little baby fat to her. I liked that because I was on the thick side myself. Guys wanted girls like us for our size. I would try losing the weight by exercising and other shit, but nothing really happened. I would lose a little fat but gain muscle. Didn't help that I was so short.

The four of them sat down and we ordered a shit load of food. Somehow, I ended up next to Baz. I still haven't spoken to him. I think he forgot I was upset at him because he was touching my thigh under the table. I kept pushing his hand away, but somehow—dear Lord—it ended back on my thigh... and higher.

"Open up, girl." Craig said to Nicky. She had a 'WTF' look on her face that I found funny. "Come on. A hundred bucks says you can catch this in your mouth." He held up a shrimp.

She looked around at us and I nodded, smiling widely. "Go ahead. Easy money, girl."

"Fine. Two hundred bucks. Come on. You in?" Craig up'd it. There was no way this girl was going to turn down an easy two hundred even.

She sat up straight, ready for anything. Opening her mouth, she waited for the shrimp. Only it didn't get into her mouth, rather her face and plopped on the floor. We laughed and I clapped. "Try again. Come on. Two hundred, chica."

Craig tossed again, and yet again, Nicky didn't get it. Jesus. Really? J leaned in to her. "You really don't have to do this, Nicky." Maybe he knew she was doing this to fit in with us. People were usually weary of us, but not her. She acted as if we were her best friends. One half of me said to get this bitch away from J despite me not knowing her, and the other half wanted me to admire her for not being scared of us.

"Shut up, man," Craig snapped. "That's just...that's just loser talk. Come on, girl. You got this." Deran gave a drumroll and I was right with him, despite Baz's hand rubbing my thigh. Craig tossed one more. Bam, the broad caught it. "OH! SHE SCORES!" A man of his word, Craig handed her the bills and she snatched them up, thanking him, before rolling the cash and stuffing it in her bra. J was quiet after that. He looked at me. I gave him a wink and an encouraging smile. He would have to warm up to us sooner or later.

AK AK AK AK AK

After dinner, I was in the kitchen putting up the doggy bags. I scrunched up my nose at the shrimp. I was allergic to the shit so I made sure to put it in an air tight container and away from everything else in the fridge. Wiping up the counter, once again, I felt a familiar body against mine from behind. Deja fucking vu. I stiffened when Baz's arms wrapped around me. His lips kissing my shoulder didn't ease the queasy feeling and the dread in the pit of my stomach.

"Don't, Baz. Stop coming up behind me."

"I keep asking you why. I've been asking you for a few years. You won't tell me."

I didn't want to tell him. I didn't think I had to tell him. He could do anything he wanted to me, except for that. If he knew I didn't like something, then he shouldn't do it. Point blank. I didn't want to be reminded of 'Him' anymore. My scar was a reminder all on its own. Pushing away from Baz, I tossed the towel in the sink. I was about to walk out of the kitchen, when he grabbed me and pulled me to him. Sighing, he held onto me. "I'm sorry. Alright? I didn't mean what I said."