Chapter 2

I've attached pictures of Hunter and his friends on the side!

oOoOo

Hunter

When I agreed to help my cousin out today I had no idea it entailed starting at five o'clock in the evening and working until five o'clock in the morning. Some lady is directing the waitstaff as if we're circus animals and I finish up my smoke from the balcony.

I take a moment to appreciate the dusk of the evening spread across the cityscape of New York. The sun barely setting yet the city is aglow with sounds of drinking and celebrating the end of another work week. I watch a frustrated business man down on the edge of the street curse as a taxi drove by him. Laughing a little at his frustrated stomp theatrics.

"And you!" I'm not even looking but a gut feeling tells me that's directed to me. I turn around and lone behold the crazy lady from earlier looks even more insane as she faces me, hair a little frayed and eyes so wild that I swear from afar could be mistaken for red. "Do you think you're being paid to stand around and smoke."

"It was a fifteen." I tell her.

"You only started ten minutes ago." She huffed, her small hands balling into fists.

"Then I guess that means I'm not finished yet."

"Alright, alright," Sam, my cousin, cuts in as he rushes to our side, "Sorry, about this, he's still new." He laughs cautiously and puts his hand on my shoulder.

The lady shakes her head and looks like she's about to keep arguing with us until something catches her off to the side.

"Hey," She calls and starts heading towards the stage, "What did I tell you about the flowers?!"

Sam stands in front of me, "Hunter, please." He pleads. "I need this. Good reviews mean more big events."

I finish a last puff of my cigarette and throw it out the window. "You got it boss."

He glares at me, "Hunter it'll be fine once the event actually starts. Any word from them?"

I pull out my phone to see messages in the group chat of my friends, "Laura and Fitz are on their way two minutes ago. No word from Jesse."

"Typical." He sighs. "Tell them thanks for helping. All your uniforms are in the van, please be ready by seven. For now, just help getting all the tables set. Please."

I nod my head, "No problem at all."

He leaves to head towards the kitchen and I opt to wait by the elevator doors for Laura and Fitz. The more reliable people from my group. As soon as Sam asked them to help it was an instant yes. It took Jesse some convincing, but he agreed. Who knows if he'll show up though.

I sit on a bench and distract myself with my phone until I get a message from Laura.

Hey, we're at the main desk, they won't let us in...

I text the chat saying that I'll grab Sam. He has notifications turned off on his phone for all messages except important people for today's event.

Walking back into the ballroom I spot him helping a girl set the table. They look to be laughing and I don't miss the way she flips her hair and laughs at something he said. He's never that funny.

"Sorry to interrupt." I smirk at Sam.

"What's the matter?" He instantly flashes with worry.

"Laura and Fitz are downstairs and can't get in." My gaze flicks over to the girl and I watch as her eyes shoot daggers towards me until I look at her. She looks away knowing she'd been caught.

He sighs in relief, "Alright, come with me."

We walk away and leave the girl to finish the table.

"So, what's her name?" I ask as we make it towards the elevators.

"Who? Her?" He asks and refers to behind us.

"Yeah, she's into you."

He laughs, "No she's not."

"Yeah man, she is. She was flirting with you."

That's when he stops to ponder, "Really?"

I roll my eyes, this guy couldn't flirt if his life depended on it, what was I thinking he was flirting with her.

We step inside the elevator and he's still looking puzzled.

"How?"

I laugh and look at the ground before looking to him, "How what? How does she like you? Or how was she flirting with you?"

"What makes you think she was flirting with me?" he seems almost insecure.

"Dude, she was shooting me death glares from the moment I interrupted until the moment I left."

"Oh." He says, and his cheeks grow a little rosier, "Well I wasn't flirting with her."

"Smart. Being her boss and all."

"Yeah." He nods his head and the elevator chimes as we make it to the ground floor.

I spot Laura and Fitz standing with a security guard and they both turn to look at us.

"Sorry Sir, I told them to come in street clothes to set up. They're uniforms are in my vehicle." Sam explains as we approach them.

"Alright." The guard says and asks to see Sam's ID card before letting us leave.

As we all get into the elevator Sam sighs, "You two could've at least worn more presentable clothes."

I try to hide my smile as I look to Laura's flip flops and Fitz' ripped jeans.

"It's 100 degrees, people are more worried about staying alive than what we're wearing." Laura reasons.

"It's just an important night. You're right, I'm sorry." Sam apologizes and leans back against the elevator wall.

"Did you get any sleep last night?" Fitz asks.

"Not really. A few hours here and there." Sam groans and rubs his eyes. "Only another eleven hours."