Chapter VI

Link picked up his pace to a jog, reaching the bank in a matter of minutes.

"Tatl, stay hidden for me, okay?"

"Yeah, I know," The fairy flew under Link's hat, it seemed a convenient enough place to hide.

Link walked up to a man, he was what Termina had as the banker. He wasn't much, and in a way almost looked like a beggar.

"Um, hello?" Link asked.

The banker immediately took notice of him, "What are you here for today? Withdrawl?"

Link offered his hand, the banker had put an invisible stamp on it so that he would remember the clients. This began to fascinate Link, because he certainly hadn't met him before during this cycle.

"I see. How much do you want to take out? You have 6,243 rupees."

Link took a moment to think on this. "I have to ask you something first."

"Me? Mister, I'm not anyone special."

"That might be true but then again it doesn't really make sense to me. Do I really have money in the bank?"

"Well obviously. I don't give out free money you know."

"But how would... I think you know more than you're letting on," Link retracted his hand.

"So you're one of those people," the banker said.

"The who?"

"Well, life here is pretty boring you know. So I notice things."

"Like what?"

"I get useful information from travellers and such. And then I've had travellers who go through time, but they're still customers. So I had to find a way to be able to serve them too." He began shifting through the rupees he had on hand, "Mister, how much did you want to withdraw?"

"You're quite dedicated," Link noted. "I guess 250 rupees should be fine."

"You must go through time a lot, huh?" The banked began counting out the amount Link asked for. He was swift about it, almost creating an art of counting the money.

"Yeah, but not intentionally."

The banker quirked an eyebrow at this. "Not intentionally?"

"Yeah. To be honest, I'm trying to get out of this mess," Link let out a humorless laugh. "I figured you might give me a hint."

"Oh, well I'm really not an expert or anything."

"But you can keep money through the barriers of time. That's a pretty crazy ability."

"I--Well, Mister, have you ever heard of a Time Shift Stone?" The banker whispered, but it's not like any onlookers would care about such a conversation. Link could always rewind time if he needed anyways, but the banker didn't know that.

"Time Shift Stone? Yes... I believe I've heard that term before. What of it?"

The banker motioned for Link to look at his hidden safe, out of sight to keep away from thieves. "I made this out of that special stone."

Link looked at it, struggling to see behind the wooden counter with his ten year old height. "Mind if I get a closer look?"

"Oh, feel free but don't mess with anything," the banker got up and out of his way.

Link nodded, climbing around to see the safe. Cool blue stone was carved into it, it almost had a soft glow to it. The precision used to craft it was clear, small details added to the sides and sharp clean angles.

"This is made of Time Shift Stone?"

"Yes. Mister, are you sure you you didn't want to travel through time? Cause you're the first I've met like that."

"Oh, I'm rather certain. Thank you, this information will be helpful." Link brushed off his hands on the bottom of his green tunic.

"Of course! Do you want anything else?"

"No, I think I'm good," Link walked back to the proper side of the counter.

"250 rupees is a lot to withdraw, be sure not to spend it all in one place."

Link chuckled, "It's fine. I have enough in the bank."

By then it was already the dawn of the second day. Clouds blocked the sun, today it was going to rain. The scent of fresh drops had already began to fill the air.

Link hurried to behind the Clock Tower, it was an obscure enough place to let Tatl out again. She had been suffocated enough.

"Your hair smells."

"That's the first thing you have to say?" Link laughed. "Well, at least we got some information."

"I don't see how what ever you two were babbling about can help us, I mean it's not like we have any Time Shift Stone," Tatl replied, annoyed that she was forced to suffer in Link's hat.

"Or... Maybe we do."

"Huh?"

Link adjusted his green hat, his hair flopped the wrong way due to Tatl.

"Let's turn back time, right now." Link pulled out a smooth blue flute like instrument.

"Wait, what are you doing?" Tatl buzzed around the item. "Where did you get this?"

"I was always mine," Link laughed. "And I'm going to reset the cycle to prove something."

"Um, you just got money out of the bank," Tatl pointed out.

"Well 250 rupees is a small price to pay for information," Link rubbed his thumb across the instrument, an ocarina. "I could always bring it back to the bank but I think I've bothered him enough for one day."

"You're too nice."

"Being nice is a flaw?"

"No--I mean--You know what, just do whatever you want. But take me with you."

"I haven't travelled through time on purpose in awhile," Link laughed, but he did want her to join him. "You sure?"

"Of course I'm sure! I wouldn't say it otherwise."

"Alright. I haven't done this in such a long time, I'm not even certain if it still works, but here we go. Tatl, come under my hat again or something so that you won't be left behind," Link lifted his hat and begrudgingly Tatl followed him instruction.

Link placed the mouthpiece of his ocarina on his lips, taking a deep breath first to prepare himself. He blew the notes of a tune all too familiar, one he and Tatl both had heard far too many times.

Link took a moment to take another breath, and looked down at his ocarina. Nothing had happened. He had played the notes properly, he couldn't have made a technical mistake. Link tossed the ocarina from hand to hand, the smooth surface resonating with his fingertips.

There was a crack. It was small, from the first hole to the second. It was the smallest possible fissure in the instrument, and Link's heart sunk as he replayed the shift of the notes he had performed in his head.