☀ Can't Fight Biology

C H A P T E R  6: Can't Fight Biology

☀     ☀     ☀

    Scout-Juliet Compton realized the fatal error of her expression.

    Once she felt the smile brandished across her face, of which she thought made her look like a complete and utter idiot, her expression immediately fell. She made a bee-line for the door back into the shop. It wasn't because she cared about scheduling appointments, and it wasn't because she was late for a very important date. It was because she decided, after the debauchery that was Antonio Ruiz, she did not want anything to do with any man whose number of sexual partners exceeded his IQ score. And Skylar, with his rugged good-looks and nonchalant intrigue, fit the profile of the type of man she vowed to avoid.

    "Scout," Scott called, "get your ass back over here! If you can't sit in the shop and answer the phone, which is the only thing I've ever asked you to do — besides that time when I asked you not to get pregnant in high school, — then you can at least introduce yourself."

    Scout stopped on a dime just two feet away from the door; so close, yet so far. She could feel her cheeks burning, and it was then that she wished she had kicked her dad back under the Plymouth when she had the chance. Right now, Scott Compton's big mouth was number eleven on her hate-list.

    Scout turned abruptly on her heel. She made her way towards Skylar, who stood with his back to the sun, the golden light washing over him like a halo. She was in awe of him, but her annoyance towards her father overrode her admiration, and the fact that Skylar had such a power over her to even make her attracted to him in the first place just added fuel to her fire, so she glared as hard as she could, her expression a reservoir of a thousand flames' intensities, and she made sure her father felt the burn.

    Scott scowled back at her, but she could not tell if he was doing it on purpose or if that was just his face.

    Scout jutted out her hand, aiming it directly at Skylar as if to accuse him of something — possibly of using woman to fulfill his selfish and immoral sexual desires, which she wasn't even sure he was guilty of; she just thought he seemed like the type.

    Skylar's own contused hand met her's in the middle air between them. His eyebrows lowered when she gripped his hand unusually tight and gave him one, hard shake.

    "I'm Scout-Juliet," she spat, snatching her hand back, "and I would rather be dead than be here right now."

    "Oh," Scott growled beneath his breath, "you will be soon."

    Scout shot her father a look. "We'll see about—"

    Before Scout could finished, a head of dark hair shot passed her like a bullet, knocking her off-balance. She caught herself on the frame of the garage door, cursing like a sailor all the while.

    "I'm Mandy," said she in a whisper that she hoped was seductive as she gingerly trailed her pink acrylic nails down Skylar's forearm. Her chest was pushed out as far as it could be without her appearing as if she had a bend in her spine — much to the chagrin of Scout, who imagined herself punching Mandy in the boob. "Georgia's daughter."

    Skylar spared a glance at Georgia, who stood beside him. She nodded in confirmation.

    "Maybe," Mandy continued, tracing one of the many tattoos that littered Skylar's skin, "I could show you around Santan sometime. Ya' know, when you're not busy."