unexpected

This is a contest entry, for a contest held by wallflower_r. I'm really really satisfied with how this turned out. I hope I'm not too late :/

you stumble upon someone trying to commit suicide. in your attempt to save them, they end up saving you. how did they do it?

~

The ache in my neck increased. My hand flew up to the pulsing area, careful not to smudge the power concealing the insignia. My form of identification. The bus stop came into view and a relieved sigh escaped my lips.

I hurried on to the stop and sat on one of the few benches around it. I could feel people's glares boring into my body, judging my appearance. The tight purple dress I wore clung to my figure, making me appear slinky.

My legs, thighs, and arms were exposed and I couldn't blame these people for their unsubtle glares and scoffs of disgust. I looked like a wh*re. Tears pricked my eyes and, in a frenzy, I stood to my feet, slightly wobbling away from the disapproving eyes.

The clicks of my heels never faltered and became softer as I strode through thick vegetation. An abandoned and secluded bridge came into view, and the urge to approach it besieged me.

The sound of water raging against rocks welcomed me and I sprinted towards the bridge and my arms rested on its railing, my head falling into my palms. My emotions overwhelmed me and the slight moisture that glistened in my eyes slowly dripped down my cheeks in streaks. Never did I want to live my life like this, hardly did I want to surrender myself like this.

My crying gradually ceased, and wiping furiously at my tear-streaked cheeks, I rose my head, staring up at the sky. The sun was setting, landing amongst beautiful shades of orange and lilac. The sight was so enchanting that I barely noticed a figure, not too far away from me. I looked around, seeing the figure, all clothed in black.

A chill ran down my spine and I slowly backed away, thinking it was a robber, or even worse, a twisted man with horrible intentions. A soft gasp left my lips as I observed the figure looking up at the sky, and down at the strong current of water below.

They started to remove their shoes, and I broke into a run towards them, realizing what they were trying to do. A shout ripped out of my throat, causing them to freeze and stare at me. My feet hurt from all the sprinting but hardly could I care, as I glared at the figure.

"Just what, do you think you're doing?", my voice rang out, shocking me with how much confidence it entailed.

The figure slowly arose and removed their hood and mask, revealing eyes rimmed with red. He had dark skin and warm hazel eyes.

His ebony curls softly blew in the wind and the setting sun cast a warm glow to his face, the oh so lovely shades of orange contrasting against his features. I waited for him to speak, to hide his eyes, to explain why he wished to commit such a crime.

But he only stared at me, confusion masking his "guilt". The slight breeze wasn't enough to cool me down, a slight sheen of sweat covering my neck and face. I wiped at it, not wanting my "owner" to find disgust in my appearance. The figure's eyes narrowed, and it was too late to cover my neck.

An emotion I could only decipher as worry spread all across his face, and instantly, I felt like a fool. "Did you ask for it, or were you forced?", he let out, soft but comprehensible. I didn't respond. I couldn't.

"Did you ask for it, or were you forced? Answer me." Shivers went down my spine and goosebumps broke out on my arms, but neither was from the cold breeze. "They said he'd kill me if I refused or went against him." Moisture filled my eyes once again, as I remembered the events of this morning. I was just leaving the house, ready to go to work, when a bunch of burly men belonging to the deadliest gang in the city broke into my home, smashing my windows, and causing destruction.

They had pressed a scorching branding iron into my neck, ignoring my agonized wails and embedding their insignia near my pulse.

Their snickers filled my head, "Oh you're a pretty one.". "The boss is going to have so much fun with you". The figure broke me out of my thoughts, inching closer to me with careful and calculated steps.

He brushed his fingers across the crest, a gorgeous one, despite its dark meaning. It was a single rose, with its petals falling gracefully, among small drops of what insinuated to be blood.

I felt a sharp sting, the wound still fresh and my neck still sensitive. Tears once again cascaded down my face, and an awkward but comforting silence filled the air, accompanied by my sniffles and whimpers.

"I assume you're here to meet him?".

His statement ended in a questioning tone and I nodded, not being able to trust my voice. "Come with me."

My body shook harder, and ferociously I refused, not wanting to put my life or his, in danger. Pity crossed his face, and I gritted my teeth. I didn't want his pity.

"I'd like for you to leave me alone, please. You can't possibly help me, you were just about to kill yourself anyway. What could you possibly do for me?"

Anger briefly flashed in his eyes, but nonetheless kept his demeanor calm.

"He's dangerous. After he's done with you, you're gone.", he spoke in a low and cold tone.

Still, my confidence was soaring through the roof and the strong urge to shut him down resurfaced.

"You don't know that. You don't know anything. You were just about to take your own life, and here you are thinking you could save mine. Even if you could help me, he'd still come after me and I'd get killed."

"He'd kill you either way. Slice your throat, rip out your organs and send them to whoever you were last seen with."

Involuntarily, my fingers flew to my neck, feeling the unsteady throb of my pulse. The mysterious figure stretched his hand towards me, his eyes silently asking me to take his opportunity.

My eyes shifted to his hand, and to his face. The breeze felt even colder and the aura turned darker, like the sky. There was hope, even if it was just a sliver of it. Still, I didn't want to be a burden, a ticket to an innocent person's death.

"My cousin. Just this afternoon, he sent her heart, along with her favorite pearl necklace. He killed her after tainting her innocence and virtue," he shook with rage.

"And transported her organs to me just because we went to the supermarket a few days ago." A sob escaped his throat, and my obstinacy diminished.

"That's why you're here.", I whispered. He nodded, barely looking at me. "I don't want another girl to go through what my cousin did. I can't bear to know that you've died, but could have been saved."

With my heart nearly leaping out of my chest, and one last glance into his eyes, I take off and hurl my stilettos over the bridge. "I've done too much running today", a smile crosses my face, and I grab his hand, allowing him to pull me away.

I'd been owned by the Dark Rose mob, unknowingly preparing for pain and death.

But he set me free.  

~

Life officially sucks.

-Ella💙