Prologue

Snowstar's eyes opened with a flash, the breath lifting out of his lungs. He was still in the Stone-hollow, but the apprentices around him were gone, replaced by the forms of Starclan warriors, their pelts gleaming and rippling like the night sky. All around him they stood, eyes like full moons, watching him intently with an ancient gaze. The air was lush with the sounds of the forest, a distant river, wind blowing through the trees...

      A starry warrior appeared behind the largest of the stones, padding forward with a determined stride. Snowstar bowed his head towards the cat, shutting his eyes and releasing a shuttering breath. 

      "Twilightstar," he whispered, "oh, how it warms my heart to see you again."

      The cat before him smiled, settling herself onto her paws. "Raise your head, Snowstar. I need not the formalities."

      Snowstar blinked, his old and worn body seeming so distant from the beautiful star-filled cat before him. She was full of grace and peace, intimidating. Twilightstar twitched an ear.

      "The apprentices you have brought here are strong. Their hearts show true." The Starclan warriors surrounding the hollow nodded and murmured in agreement.

      "Their mentors have trained them well," Snowstar replied, slowly seating himself on the soft grass. He scanned the warriors around him, searching for one familiar face in particular, but could not find him. He returned his gaze back to Twilightstar.

      "You have done well with Scarpaw," she mewed, "her paws follow the path of light. It is time you reveal to her who she truly is."

      Snowstar's eyes flashed with panic for a moment, his tail twitching against the ground. "Surely it is too soon? Don't you think she needs more time?"

      "Has she not shown you her loyalty?" Twilightstar blinked, her strong eyes giving not the slightest glint of change. "You fear her heart is not strong?"

      "No." Snowstar looked to his paws. "I only worry the time is not right. With Thornclan's recent threats and Tanglestar naming Hawkheart a warrior so early, I believe a war may be coming. Scarpaw may not be ready to know the truth."

      "Her heart is strong," Twlightstar's eyes burned into Snowstar's old pelt, "you must trust in Starclan. Before her naming ceremony, you shall reveal the truth. She must know her true name."

      Snowstar blinked, looking back up towards the great leader before him. He let out a shaky sigh, flattening his ears to his white head. "Of course I trust in you, Twilightstar. I always have." She gazed down at him, nodding. Snowstar opened his mouth to speak once more, but was interrupted by booming thunder, spreading like an electric current through the hollow. The starry warriors around him stood, eyes wide and pelts rising, and Twilightstar jumped to her paws in front of him. The light of the warriors began to fade, and Snowstar looked to Twilightstar in panic. She looked back, unsheathing her claws.

      "You must return to your camp," she hissed, the thunder growing louder and louder all around them, "grave danger awaits you. Remember what I have told you, and trust in Starclan. She must know the truth."

      "Wait," Snowstar yowled hoarsely, watching as she darted off towards the stones. They cracked and rumbled beneath his paws, sinking deep into the ground. He ran after her, his fur on end, as darkness enveloped his senses like a wave, leaving only the thunder and promise of something terrible to come.