Castle of Dreams

Deep breath in, shaky breath out. Repeat. Deep breath in, shaky breath out. Repeat. I continued this pattern as I limped through the decaying hall, gripping the large cut along my side. Everything had managed to go wrong. Charlie was dead. Andre was dying where I'd been forced to leave him in that goddamn room. Fuck.
The lure of adventure had been too great. None of us could have resisted its pull. The locals said that it was part of the curse that surrounded the old castle. It ensnared its victims with promises one could only dream of. Whispers of fame and wealth beyond our wildest dreams, an adventure we'd be telling stories about for years to come.
Oh, I'd be telling stories. Stories of death and pain and loss. Stories of warning. Stories of that fucking castle that took fucking everything. If I made it out. A part of me wanted to die alongside my companions. A part of me knew I deserved nothing more. We'd been reduced to nothing but wild animals within those cursed walls. Our greed, fear, and desperate attempts to survive had only caused betrayal and death.
We had promised that whatever we found wouldn't drive us apart. That we'd stick together even if we found the treasure and that we wouldn't go insane with greed. The castle was more clever than we were loyal, however, and it had gladly shown us our true faces.
My head spun with blood loss as I stumbled onward, knowing an exit was close. I could feel a fresh breeze against my cheeks and the smell of pine caressed my senses. Oh god, so close. So close to leaving this nightmare.
An oak door loomed suddenly from the darkness and I couldn't help the cry of relief that escaped my throat. Sobs echoed down the hall as I grasped at the brass a handle. I could taste the freedom, taste my harrowing escape from this hell. My hands were slick with blood, too slick to get a good grip on the door. So close, so close. I rubbed them desperately on my torn shirt and tried again. The door clicked open and a gust of wind tore it from my hands.
I stood still, eyes adjusting to the darkness beyond the frame. A frigid breezennipped harshly at my nose and made my eyes water. I had to move, I knew I had to leave. Yet, as I stood there, taking in the path that lead away from the castle, I froze. And that hesitation was my doom. The door snapped shut like hungry jaws and I was thrown backwards into the stone walls of the castle that would soon become my tomb. I scrambled forward and threw my weight against the door, knowing there was no escape. I scratched desperately at the oak door and felt it rip my nails out and grind away my flesh. I screamed and kicked until my strength gave out and I was forced to slump against it.
The lights along the hall lit up with a gentle warmth that were so opposite of the castles true nature. The entire frame seemed to let out a sigh as another lost soul found its home.

Happy Halloween! I've been watching The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix and was inspired to write some horror.