Make a Social Poll to Judge the Success of the Campaign on World Toilet Day

The development of urban areas has many positive advantages, but it also presents a less friendly side

The development of urban areas has many positive advantages, but it also presents a less friendly side. Some countries cannot maintain the pace of investment necessary to guarantee the quality of life for the inhabitants of these rural areas in India, which naturally ends up leading them to a very dreadful phenomenon called 'urbanization of poverty'. According to UN-Water, 40% of urban expansion occurs in marginal neighborhoods, whose disposition does not allow the proper construction for an appropriate sanitation structure In other words they have no bathroom.

According to many social surveys India is a clear example of this problem. Most of the slum dwellings do not have their own bathrooms and there is no space to build sanitation and water facilities. Public toilets are a regular business, although they do not prevent outdoor defecation from becoming an extended practice. The first obstacle is that not all citizens are willing to pay and the secondly is that the hygienic conditions of these baths often leave a lot to be desired.

If there is a vision of India that impacts the most visitors in general, it is the dirt that invades everything and to which the lack of toilets in the country contributes greatly. Of the 2.5 billion people who lack toilets in the world, half live in South Asia and it is India that has the worst record, since only 28% of their rural homes have a toilet, compared to 30% of Afghans or 36% of Bangladeshi citizens.

Lots of garbage, scrap and debris everywhere, excrement of "sacred" cows and other loose animals and human beings doing their needs anywhere are everyday images of an India, urban or rural, that seems at odds with hygiene.

"There is a problem of lack of awareness" of the importance of the use of the toilet and subsequent hygiene, admits Neetu Huda, a consultant from the Government of the Indian state of Haryana, who considers that subsidies and awards encourage the poorest population to "get involved" effectively in the program. "

Other participants in this great national effort focus on educating the population on the advantages of using the toilet "When you have one at your door, you will have privacy, security, honor, hygiene, social dignity" and up to fifty " advantages "that relates, supported by a graphic tree, the head of a project oriented to women of the Planning and Construction Service Aga Khan, MUKukadia.

Although the health program is concentrated in the countryside, urban India is not an example of sanitation and hygiene. A report prepared by the Council of Global Hygiene in cooperation with a firm of hygiene products found in September that 78% of urban households have a high level of bacterial contamination and that the population "does not even perceive as threats" the places of greatest risk for the spread of infections such as kitchens and bathrooms.

According to the latest surveys regarding this serious issue people in India people seem to be so desperate to own a restroom or at least expect that their small village could possibly own a public restroom so they could avoid many problems which are becoming a real tragedy there like for example the notorious spread of diseases, women being raped at the outskirts of their village and so on.

Hopefully the Indian government has been providing a lot of restroom and has also teaching many Indian communities how to use it. But there's still a lot of work to do. In a couple of years or so India won't have to keep facing this problem anymore. But time will tell.

You can create a Poll to judge the success of Sanitization Campaign by visiting polldeep.com