Chapter 2: Cristina

One Week Later...

            This past week has gone by pretty quickly which I'm grateful for. School has been pretty much the same since the first day of class. Silas has been the same as he always has been and we haven't once talked once about our project. At home I try my best to stay out of the way of my mother and especially Phil. Last night my mother was at work but Phil was home. When dinner wasn't done by 5 o'clock sharp he freaked out.

"You useless little shit can't even have dinner done on time. Your mother works hard to keep this godforsaken roof over your head and you don't do shit around to help out. You're just a piece of shit daughter that can't do anything right. I thought this was the one thing you couldn't fuck up because of how much you love to stuff your face but Noooo, you can't even do that right!" Phil yells as she shoves me into the stove and I knock my elbow into the pan on the right burner and getting burning hot water splashed onto my arm.

I wince and immediately run to the sink to run cold water over my arm. My mother came in right after that and she continued to tell me how worthless I am and how she should have sent me away after my father left. After she finishes yelling at me she tells me to go to my room, that she doesn't want to see my face anymore.

            As I sit in my history class thinking about my miserable life I see a huge shadow come across my desk. I look up to see Silas standing over me. With him being as tall as he is and me sitting down he looks almost like a giant looming over me. I don't say anything but look up at him.

            "We need to talk about our project now" he says glaring at me. Why did Mrs. Michaels have to partner us together?

            "If it makes it easier I can just do it on my own and put both our names on it, that way we don't have to talk or see each other more than normal." I say.

            "As nice as that sounds, my parents are on top of me and they have been talking to my teachers so they know about the project and if I don't contribute they will pull me out of my sports. They want you to come over tonight to work on it. If you don't show up then they'll be all over me about not helping. So, let's just get this shit over with." he explains. God why does nothing ever go the way I want.

            I think about it and my mother shouldn't be home tonight because she's working the night shift for the next couple weeks. During the school year I try to be home as little as possible. Most of the time she doesn't care where I am as long as I'm not seen.

            "Fine. We need to pick the topic we want to research" I say, cause what else can I say.

            After going through the different things, we could research for fifteen minutes we decide on doing a presentation about the political and presidential career of Dwight D. Eisenhower. As the bell rings to signal that class is over I am already packing my stuff into my backpack so I can get to lunch. I look over to see that Silas is already out the door. Damn I didn't even find out where he lives, ha, oh well, guess I won't have to go over there tonight.

            I sit down at my normally vacant table in the library but I see a guy sitting there that I've never seen before. He looks up from his phone and stares at me for a few seconds before saying

            "Hey" he says smiling at me.

            I smile back but don't say anything.

"I'm Maverick. I just moved here two days ago from Chicago but today is my first day here." He extends his hand towards me and I just stare at it not able to believe he's talking to me. He is extremely good looking with broad shoulders, tanned skin and bright blue eyes. His hair is dark brown and hangs on his forehead.