Chapter Four

"So this is how you get your blood?"

I looked over at Adam, who was stood by the stark white door in his doctor get up that looked a little odd and out of place on him.

"Yes, it's how I'd recommend doing it."

"I suppose you did say that attacking wasn't your norm."

I pause for a brief moment, a blood pack hanging from my hand as I was transferring it from the fridge to the cooler laying open beside my feet.

My eyes glanced towards him again before I set back to my task, trying to distract from the pulse of guilt that crashed through me once again.

"It's not, that's why I'm trying to make it up to you by giving you everything you need and helping you learn."

"You do this often?"

"As often as I have to."

"And how often is that?"

I shrugged, setting a few more packets into the cooler before closing it and locking the lid in place.

"Every other month? Sometimes a little longer depending on if I have company or not."

Adam watched as I walked over to him, his eyes unreadable as they were hidden behind glasses to protect our sensitive vision from the too bright lights of the hospital.

"What kind of company?"

"Vampire company obviously, sometimes Vincent comes home."

"Vincent?"

Then wasn't the time I wished to explain everything to him and so ignoring him, I indicate for him to move and opened the door when he had, peering out into the hallway to check that it was clear and safe for us to leave without being stopped.

Not that we didn't have back up if we were, but it was always preferable that we didn't have to go through all the hassle that hospital usually offered.

We moved quickly through the corridors, passing the door of the doctor who we had bribed to allow us access to their blood supply.

Thankfully no one stopped us and we made it outside to the car in no time at all.

Adam opened the car door and allowed me to throw in the cooler before we both proceeded to jump into the front, him in the driver's seat and me in the passengers with a wide grin.

"I love it when it goes smoothly," I crooned, feeling the typical giddiness of getting away with another raid.

"Does it usually go that smoothly?" He asked, putting the key into the ignition and lighting up the road ahead of us with a flick of the headlight switch.

"More often than not, yes."

"And it if doesn't?"

"You bullshit as hard as you can."

"Sounds easy enough," he shrugged before driving off, heading through the dark streets towards the small hovel we called home.

"It is once you're used to it."

Darkness and silence engulfed the car, save for the flicker of light passing headlights offer us, but even that is sporadic and uneven as most of the lights seemed to have burned out long ago with no one caring enough to fix them.

It was comfortable, we had both gradually getting used to each other and Adam hadn't mentioned my mistake since we woke up to the welcoming dark which, to be perfectly honest, was a relief as I wasn't in the mood to be reminded of my fuck up repeatedly after waking up in such a good mood, especially if I'd already apologised multiple times.

"So," Adam finally spoke, adjusting his grip on the steering wheel, "who is Vincent?"

I looked at him and couldn't stop a goofy smile rising on my face.

"Vincent is a kind of husband."

"A kind of husband?" He asked, glancing towards me in curiosity.

"Yes, we may as well be a married couple and yet we aren't."

"Makes sense I guess."

"It does to us and that is what matters."

"Bit of a cliché name for a vampire if you ask me."

"Well no one did and no one ever will, so hush."

He shook his head and I wouldn't have been surprised if he had rolled his eyes.

"Right, will I ever get to meet him?"

"More than likely," I smiled, resting my head against the window, "I sent him a message about my little mishap and he said he'd come to assess sooner rather than later."

"Assess what?"

"Whether he thinks you're worthy of chilling with us," I laughed.

"Chilling? In what way?"

"Adam," I sighed, tilting my head to look at him, "you ask too many questions, just go with the flow."

I smiled and sat up again, reaching over to place a hand on his thigh and giving it a light squeeze.

"You'll be fine with us."