The Probability I can Kill my Wife Without being Found out

'0.061%'

My morning always began with me activating my computer glasses, and checking a certain future prediction.

"Well, I guess that's about right."

Lately, I hadn't seen the number it broadcast cross 1%.

'The probability I can kill my wife without being found out.'

That was what I had preset the future prediction to calculate.
It had already been around fifteen years since home PCs got to be able to perform simple predictions if you entered the query. It was being used for various applications, and I was employing it without exception.

My wife and I were what you'd call a political marriage. The company my grandfather managed, and the financial support my wife's father- now my father in law- had proposed, drew this political marriage together. When I was normal in looks, and there wasn't anything particularly special I could do, the reason she wanted me was simple because that girl I'd never met had taken a liking to my photograph.

"I can't think I'll love you, but if you're alright with me."

Ten years had gone by since I said that to her. And our marriage. It's not like I had a girlfriend or anything. And her looks weren't for worse. My grandfather's company avoided bankruptcy, and I was to be its next company president. Every little thing was going swimmingly. In respect to the world, and in respect to common sense, that surely how it was. But I didn't think so.
Maybe because I felt strongly that I had been bought with money, to an extent I mildly hated her.
If I didn't want it, I could have simply shook my head, but the situation wasn't one to allow it. I mean, it had come to the point where grandfather's company wouldn't last a few days, and in the case it did go bankrupt, some part of me was convinced that stubborn grandfather of mine, with his overly strong sense of responsibility may try and choose converting his own life into money. He said his life was enough to save mine from massive debt, so I could only permit the marriage.

"I may kill you and take all the money you're to inherit for myself. Even so, are you alright with me?"

When we were done with the marriage, those words I nonchalantly tossed at her. For a moment, she made a face of surprise, before smiling as she assented.

"That's fine. It's only a matter if I can get you to fall before that, right"

Her challenging words somehow made her out as a gallant warrior, making me open my eyes wide for a second. And within the day, I had inputted, 'the probability I can kill my wife without being found out,' into my glasses. After entering that simple question, the wearable terminal took in various affairs, computed to a precise value of them, and output a probability. The first number to come out was '38.235%'. That surprisingly high number froze me in shock. For it to be so close to 40! I thought, but then I recalled my wife was going on a trip starting the day after. What's more, a trip alone. Killing her, and making it seem she was still overseas sounded possible.

"Shall I make it seem I took a trip myself, and kill you? It seems I'll succeed almost 40% of the time."
"I see, good luck with that. Want me to bring you anything back?"

Her flippant words were so interesting I found myself asking, "You think I can't kill you?" only for her to reply, "No, if you do kill me, it will be because I didn't put enough effort into it," with cold eyes.
I saw her off, and calculated another future prediction.

'The probability I will love my wife half a year from today.'
'0.001%'

I'll bet, I nodded to myself. Even if I thought she was an interesting woman, it was a fact I didn't harbor very good sentiment towards her. I couldn't think that would change within a mere six months.
A few days later, I told that to her when she returned. I had been excitedly looking forward to her reaction, but she only returned an, "I see." To be honest, it was a let-down.