Chapter 29

It didn't take long for us to get to the docks. The bus seemed to be traveling rather quickly down the small streets and there weren't very many stops between here and there. The old man had kept to himself for the most part, every once in a while turning around to ask the weather, or to tell me something interesting about the docks. I did my best to tune him out, my mind fiddling with the inner workings of the rest of my life.

Sure it was going to be lonely at times, and if things got really bad I could always find another pod. My heart stops though at the thought of that. Damien's words stuck in my head about the wars that was going on with all the other mermaids. Why hadn't Asada told us about these creatures? Were they meant to be secrets? Why was Damien the first to have ran away from his very own pod?

When the bus came to a stop I knew it was my time to leave. I had to get off, but something told me I needed to wait for the old man. He had been sweet, though a little pushy with his way of going about it. He did say he was going to show me around the docks. I jumped from my seat, making it about halfway through the bus before I sat and waited for him to get off first. He smiles once again, holding the railing as he walks down the stairs. I had a hard time imagining he did any of the heavy work for the fisherman.

"So where do we go first?" I question surveying the land. I knew I would need to get rid of my bag first and foremost. I pulled my phone out for what would be the last time I ever held it, dug through the system settings and reset it. Saying goodbye to everything I had known before my new life. Once it was fully reset I placed it in the bag. Now it was time for the bag to leave.

"Over here," He points using the cane in his hand to help him cross the street. I followed carefully, not allowing the others to see exactly where I was going. The older man led me to the water, a large dumpster just at the end of the pier. I knew it was my time to make a move. He stumbled towards the dock and I sat back just a little bit, knowing it would be easy to catch back up.

Peeking into the garbage, I took note of all the dead fish guts and everything else that was piled on top. My stomach flipped upside down as I begin to want to dry heave. The image of the fish staring back at me when I attempted to eat it's friend burned into my mind.

I would eventually have to get over that if I was going to live under the sea, but for the time being I was horrified. I quietly place my bag on top, grabbing a bunch of cardboard that was neatly stacked next to the dumpster and placed that on top before running to catch up with the old man.

"...these docks are home to many sailors, who spend more time on the water than they do on the land," He turns to look at me as if I had startled him. I nod my head in hopes he wouldn't ask me anything about what he had just said.

I couldn't focus on anything he was saying. Mentally I was applauding my job well done with the bus and the bag. Now my runaway checklist was coming to a close and there was only one thing that I needed to do now. The excitement was building up inside me, the pier seemed like it went on forever. Boats and boats all lined up, ready to head out for their daily catches. I pulled the hood off the top of my head, rubbing my hands together. I couldn't wait any longer.

The anxiety was building up inside my chest and I realized I was behind schedule anyways. I needed the water now. I turned to look at the old man, thanked him quickly before I ran. I ran to the end of the dock like it was the last thing I was ever going to do. My body jumped for joy as the end of it got closer with every pounding step and before I could second think anything, my body was sailing through the air. My heart pounding in my chest as the water got closer and closer to my skin.

Then I was fully submerged. I felt slightly guilty for leaving the man as abruptly as I had, but it was better than wasting his breath for the rest of the day. I needed to get swimming. I had to get away from here before the mermaids came hunting for me. If they even cared to find me.

The water was darker than normal here, the depth much deeper than you would expect for a simple sound. But I loved it, every little part of it. My fin was full fledged the transformation taking place for the last time ever. Something about it felt exhilarating, and something about it told me I needed to try again, it wasn't cool enough the first time. But instead I focused my mind towards swimming. I wouldn't follow the currents as that is what they would expect me to do. I needed to go my own way.

I passed a few sea lions, watching them slide through the water like seasoned professionals, chasing fish of all sorts of shapes and sizes. I felt like I was at home, realizing that this would be it. This was my forever place.

The joy of finally being under the waves took over and I used what strength I had left to propel myself to the wide open ocean. It'd take me a minute to get there, as I knew the sound was huge, but soon enough, I would be redecorating my life.