chapter 1

Maggie

Satudaymorning. I was enjoying a warm summer afternoon at the port my family owned. While the burning sun made me rosy, I slowly started to drift of into a beautiful and peaceful daydream. That was until a conversation between my dad and my aunt caught my attention.

"I have asked her to clean out that part of the dock 3 times Amanda. I'm sick of her attitude." I rolled my eyes at his comment. He can't just give me this part years ago and then suddenly decides to rent it out to some arrogant luxury yacht owner and expects me to not have a problem with it. "You gave her that part Rick." My aunt replied.
"It's understandable that she's not willing to give it up after all these years, you of all people should know her reasons for it." Her full reply shut him up, and I could already imagine his annoyed face because he knows she's right.

I love my aunt. She always had my back, ever since my mother died she's been there for me. Quitting her job in the City, moving back here to help my dad out, running the business and help raising me. I feel a little sorry for him, always having to go against 2 determined, strong and hot headed women. It was a fight he could never win, Amanda and I always got what we wanted as long as we helped him out at the port.

But I knew I couldn't play my daddy's heart this time. I know he doesn't want to do it as much as I don't want to give it away, but he had no choice, If we wanted to keep this harbor into the family we had to rent that part of the docks, end of discussion.

I missed the last part of their converstation, only hearing my aunts words 'I'll talk to her' and then angry footsteps walking away and light footsteps coming towards were I was. "Hey kiddo, I'm guessing you heard all of that." I slowly opened my eyes and looked straight into my aunt Amanda's forrest green eyes. It was like looking into a mirror because I had the exact same ones myself. "Not all of it." She stretched out her hand, pulling me up from the pier I was relaxing on. "I'm sorry Mags, but your dad really needs that money, you know he would never do it just to hurt you, he loves you very much" She tried to reassure me. I knew she was right, he would never do anything to hurt me, never.

I knew I had to clean it up. I knew it was the right thing to do to help my dad and to help the family busisness. I couldn't be selfish right now. It would be hard to clean up my place at that dock, my mams place. The last place she spent time before she—well, before she left me.

I swallowed back the tears that were seconds away from dripping down my cheeks. Her last moments replaying in my mind. "Come on gorgeous, get that sad look of your face. I'll help you." My aunt wrapped her arm around my shoulders and kissed my cheek. "I know it's not going to be easy Mags, but maybe If we make enough money we can try to put it back the way your momma made it okay?" I looked up at her and nodded. "Thanks Amanda, I love you."

She wrapped her arms around my neck, squeezing so hard that she almost hugged me to death. "Are you trying to kill me? Or is this your way of telling me I love you too." I teased. "I love you too Maggie, and I'm always here for you, you know that right?" She said questioningly, wiping my tears away with her thumbs. "I know auntie." I smiled at her. She cleared her throat, trying to hide away her own emotions. "Good, now let's make that grumpy of a dad a little cheery today okay?" We both laughed while we walked back to clean up my mams part of the docks and get it ready for the new tenant tomorrow.

After cleaning up most of mine and my mothers things I walked back towards the office. "Knock knock." I half whispered, slowly opening the office door. "Come in." My dad replied, his nose stuck in books and paperwork. "Hi daddy." I greeted him. "You still mad at me?" He turned around quickly, giving me a startled look. "Maggie-bear, I could never be mad at you, come here." He gestured towards the couch in his office.

Sitting down next to me he sighed, then grabbed my hands into his. "I wish I could let you have that part Maggie, there's nothing I'd want more then for you to have that but someone asked specifically for that part and is willing to pay a lot of money for it so...—" He paused, taking a deep breath. "I can't afford to say no, I really hope you understand honey..." The pain in my dad's eyes made me regret the attitude I gave him about it instantly.

"I know dad, I cleaned it out this afternoon. It wasn't easy but Amanda helped me." His eyes grew wide and his mouth almost dropped to his feet. Guess he didn't think my aunt could actually convince me to finally cooperate when she said she'd talk to me.

"Maggie, I—" He paused. "I know dad." I squeezed his hand letting him know I understood what he was trying to say. He cleared his throat, then kissed me on my forehead. "We'll get through this honey, rough times will be over soon." He said, quickly getting up and walking back to his desk to continue his paperwork.

My dad was never good at showing his emotions or talking about his feelings, at least not since my mom died. I'd learn to read his feelings through his boby language over the years and it has worked for the both of us this way. Maybe one day he will let me in, I know he will when it's time. "Goodnight dad, I love you." I kissed his cheek and walked towards the door. "Sweet dreams Maggie-bear, love you too." I turned around, looking at him already back covered in paperwork and smiled. He'll let me back in one day, I know he will. I closed the door behind me.

Halfway through my way home I changed my mind and went back to the port. If some rich dude was going to live at my mams special place for god knows how long, preventing me from spending time there, I had to spend one last night, no one was taking that away from me.

I grabbed some blankets and pillows from the boatshed and made myself comfortable. Thank god I hadn't cleaned out all my stuff yet. I figured I would take the rest after my early morning dive. No way mister fancy suit would arrive before 9:00 am, and since I always swim around 7:00 am I guess I was safe. I lay down at the spot where I could see the stars perfectly. One always shining the brightest.

Hi mam,

I hope you're doing okay up there. Dad and I are doing good. Amanda's been helping out a lot and we're trying to keep the family business up and running.

Yes mam, I know I should get out of here, have my own adventures. Experience the beautiful places in the world. I will... one day. I can't leave daddy right now, you know that, he needs me. Of course he has Amanda helping him out, but that's not the same thing and you know it.

I'm doing what? Making excuses? Because I'm afraid? Hahaha, even as an angel your funny ma.
What are you saying? Boys? What about them? No. I haven't met any cute ones lately, don't have the time for it. No I'm not making time. I will get to everything eventually, for now I have to focus on dad and the harbor.

Speaking of the harbor.....
Sales has been going down lately mam, which sucks of course. Dad thinks he found a solition for it, one I really didn't like. We had to rent out your place mam, your dock. I'm really sorry, dad is too. But he thinks it's the only way to make enough money to keep the business. We have to try it mam, and I promise if it works I'll make sure to change it back to the way you made it, I promise.

And if the new tenant is a dick, I have my tricks to sent him right back to where he came from. I'm your daughter aren't I?

For now, I'm gonna leave you to get back to your fellow angels. I'll tell dad you love him, you know I always do.

I love you mam, I miss you. Talk to you soon.

Love,
Maggie