Chapter 1

"In the end, our true nature that we hide is the very thing we need for survival. We must all become animals to survive."

-Source Unknown

It racked through his mind like a bullet. His actions leading up to this moment. And now he stood at the precipice. The end of the road he traveled on.

The wolf held the world's salvation in his grip, and knew how this would end. But he had made up his mind.

He pulled the trigger, and it was over.

Several months ago

March 17, 2018

Demoisse Auto Parts

8:55 P.M

"Victor! Get the heck over here!"

Victor chuckled. Demoisse needed help again, like always. The old otter always called him over for the most trivial problems that were easy to fix. The bobcat had way better reach for certain cars that the otter had no chance of fixing with his species difference.

"Coming!" Victor sped through the mostly empty garage, before finally making it over to the Demoisse's car. The otter was underneath it, tools piled all around him.

The bobcat folded his arms. "What do you need now, gramps?"

The otter rolled out from under the truck, dusting himself off before standing up. "Well.. it's not the car if that's what your wonderin'"

Victor sighed. "Then why did you call me over here then?"

The otter reached inside his pocket, pulling out a envelope with a messy paw-written name on it.

"Some fella dropped this by. Think he knew you."

Victor snatched it out of Demoisses hand, before putting it in his pocket to read later.

Victor had very few friends in Chicago, and he had no idea who could have sent this letter. He kept his expression neutral as he looked at Demoisse. "Who brought it?"

The otter shrugged. "Had a hoodie on. Thought it was a pred, but the odd thing was... they had no tail."

Victor shrugged. "I'll keep that in mind." He had started to go back to the front of the garage before he felt the otter tap his shoulder.

"Before you go... thank for all your hard work. You've helped me keep this place in business even at this old age. I've got my daughter's birthday to plan for, so I'll let you go early. I'll close up the shop after you go."

Victor was surprised. Demoisse rarely let his workers off early. Victor smiled. "Thanks.. Boss."

He grabbed his stuff that was near the front of the garage, then exited out into the city.

Chicago was a bright, bustling city at night, full of all sorts of mammals. But crime stained its streets during this time. While there was more of a push for more cop patrols at night, not many people roamed around at night unless they had a close destination or were looking for trouble.

Victor knew his way around the streets, even though he had only been here for a few years. He mainly went down the safest routes back to his place, well lit and with groups of people. But tonight he took a shorter route back to his apartment, one that cut through several blocks that some considered dangerous. He knew he was fine here. Not many mammals want to get in fight with a bobcat.

As he walked, he put his hand in his pocket, feeling the envelope. He snatched it out of his pocket, and opened it with his claw. It was folded, and he opened it with anticipation.