Two | Mia

"Get uuuuup!" Ash yelled in my ear as she shook me vigorously.

"I'm up," I groan into my pillow, only half meaning it. I felt Ash's hands pushing me around again. I sighed and sat up. Ash was looking at me with her big brown eyes.

"Sissy, we have our first day of school!" she cried. Ash is my seven-year-old sister, was always full of energy and always screaming about something. She was very excited for her first day at our new school. However, I was not.

"I'm getting ready, girly," I said. "Now go finish getting dressed while I get myself ready." I gently nudged her towards the door and she practically skipped towards her room.

I looked around my new bedroom, with stacks of unpacked boxes and freshly painted walls. We'd officially moved in a week ago, and I hadn't done anything to show I really lived there yet. I was making my unhappiness with the sudden move clear.

"Girls," mom said. "We need to tell you something important." She smiled gently and squeezed my dads hand. He smiled back at her.

"So," she started. "Your dad got offered a very nice job in California at a big real estate agency-"

"And I accepted!" he finished, sounding as excited as a child that just won a goldfish at the carnival.

I was confused at first. California? I thought. Wait...California!?

"A job...in California? So, we're moving to California?" I asked in disbelief.

"Yes! Isn't it fantastic?" my mother asked.

"No! I'm not moving to California!" I shouted.

"Well, you don't really have a choice," said my father, calmly. "I've already found a good school for you and Ash. You're both enrolled and will start the first day of their second semester. My job at the real estate agency has been finalized and we already bought a house."

I couldn't believe what they were saying. When they went on 'vacation' to California, I had assumed they were in Santa Cruz or something, not planning to tear my entire life apart.

"Everything I know is here," I argued.

"Then it's time to learn something else."

The memory still made me bitter. I wasn't at all happy about the move, but it's not as if I could survive on my own back in Colorado.

I reluctantly stood up from my warm bed and made my way to the boxes of my clothes. I reached into three different boxes and just pulled out three random articles of clothing to change into. I grabbed underwear, my bra, and socks.

After I was dressed, I looked in the mirror. I was in a black and white flannel with a green tea color shirt. The pants I grabbed were dark blue skinny jeans.

Even without trying, you look like a stereotypical gay, I thought. It's kind of funny, really, considering I'm actually pansexual. I do lean more towards girls, though.

I head downstairs with my backpack from last year and throw on my Converse. I make my way to the kitchen to find Ash earring cereal straight from the box.

"Ash, please use a bowl next time," I groan, knowing damn well she got slobber on her little hands which she then dipped back in the box.

"No, because now I claimed this cereal and it's mine," she said. Smart kid.

I just rolled my eyes and threatened, "Well next time you do that, I won't buy you cereal anymore. You'll have to eat eggs again."

A look of panic set on her face as she dropped the cereal box to stare at me. Eggs were this child's enemy.