Chapter 4

Thank you all for supporting this story. It means so much to me. I hope you enjoy the chapter. :)

* * * *

Roman was late. Kayla looked at her watch and then at Warren. A muscle was twitching in his jaw. He was angry. She reached out and laid her hand over his. He gave her a weak smile, grabbed his cane, and slowly got to his feet. Concerned, Kayla asked him if he was alright.

"No," he growled. "First Gina calls and cancels on me, Matthew had to leave, and now Roman is late. All I wanted was to have a nice relaxing dinner with friends and family. Is that too much to ask for?"

"No, it's not." Kayla rose from the couch and moved to the elderly man's side. She squeezed his arm gently. "I'm here and I would love to have dinner with you. Why don't you go to the kitchen and tell Neil we're ready to eat?"

"Yes, dear." Muttering to himself, Warren left the room.

Kayla let out a heavy sigh and rubbed the back of her neck. At that moment Roman walked into the living room. Kayla moved toward him. "Oh, Doc, you are in so much trouble."

"Tell me something I don't know." Roman ran a hand through his hair. "Where is he?"

"In the kitchen." Kayla studied his face, noticing the lines of fatigue that bracketed his eyes. He worked too much. She wondered what drove him to work so hard. "Take off your jacket and relax. Can I get you anything to drink?"

"No, thank you." Roman took off his jacket, tossed it over the back of the couch, and loosened his tie. "It's been-"

"It's about time you showed up," Warren snarled, shuffling into the room. "What was so important that you couldn't be here on time?"

"There was an emergency," Roman said. "A patient needed-"

"Your patients always need something," Warren said heatedly. "Those loons are only-"

"Don't call my patients loons," Roman snapped his eyes flashing. "They are people with real problems. I will not allow anyone to call them names, not even you, Grandfather."

"You will not come into my home and speak to me that way, boy," Warren bellowed. "I won't stand for it."

Feeling the situation was getting out of control, Kayla stepped between the two Marshall men. "Please calm down before one or both of you say something you can't take back. Emotions are running high right now. Let's take a deep breath and try to relax." She forced a smile. "I don't know about you, but I'm hungry."

"Neil said dinner will be ready shortly," Warren told her. "It doesn't matter. I've lost my appetite."

"So have I," Roman said stiffly.

Lord, please give me patience, Kayla prayed. She turned to Warren. "You shouldn't miss dinner. You can't take your medication on an empty stomach." She turned toward Roman. "I'm thinking you haven't eaten since lunch. You work long hours. You need to eat to keep up your strength."

"She's right," Roman said to his grandfather. "You shouldn't miss dinner, Granddad."

"Neither should you," Warren told him. "Perhaps we should listen to the lovely Ms. Reynolds."

 Kayla smirked. "That's the smartest thing I've heard all evening."

"Dinner is ready," Neil announced from the doorway.

"Shall we, my dear?" Warren offered Kayla his arm.

She took it, beaming, and looked at Roman. "Are you coming?"

"Yes," he replied.

They moved to the dining room, where they discovered that Neil had already brought the food to the table. Warren seated himself. Roman pulled out a chair for Kayla before taking a seat across from her.