Chapter 3

Author Note ; I apologize for skipping last week. My editor was on vacation, so I was unable to publish a chapter in time, but here's chapter 3!

The following morning, all graduates sat in the first rows of the audience, and were called up to get their forehead protectors and team information in alphabetical order of surname. I was called up about halfway through the ceremony. As I sat in the audience, I replayed my apology for Neji-kun in my head until I was called, then continued when I sat down again, waiting for the last person to be called. As we sat in the rows, Neji-kun sat directly in front of me, which made it easy to focus on the task in mind.

The commencement ceremony was closed with a speech from Iruka-sensei and then a speech from Sandaime Hokage-sama, both of which were a little too boring for the tastes of any of the graduates. However, it did come to an end, and I searched the crowd for Neji-kun. I didn't bother checking the team information sheet, as I thought that there was no chance that we would be placed together. After seeing no traces of the Hyuuga family, I decided to wait by the exit, hoping he would pass by. Half an hour later, the crowd had thinned, and there was no sight of him. My parents were speaking with Iruka-sensei, so I sat down, leaning against the wall, and unrolled my team information. I read the sheet without much interest until I saw the names of my teammates. There was his name, as clear as day.

        Leader : Might Guy

        Teammates : Hyuuga Neji, Mitsashi Tenten, Rock Lee

I couldn't believe it. I was terrified and relieved at the same time, and it was kind of like receiving an extension on a paper that you hadn't started yet, even though it was due the next day. The rendezvous date was that day, which would've explained why Neji was no longer near the place the ceremony had taken place. Even if I had more opportunity to apologize, it didn't mean that I couldn't do it now. If he and I were to be teammates, it wouldn't help Lee or Guy-sensei if we were unable to get along.

By the time I got there, I was already rather late. Everybody else was already there, so I just sat beside Lee, farthest away from Neji. We went through with usual introductions, stating our name, fighting style, and interests. To be honest, I thought that Lee and Guy-sensei were a little... enthusiastic with each other, to say the least.

Once introductions were completed, Guy-sensei led us to a small training area on the outskirts of the forest, explaining that he used to train here on his own in his free time. To warm up, he allowed us to begin with some basic sparring with no jutsu or weapons. Neji-kun and Lee went first, creating their everlasting rivalry. Even today, there's no way I could ever compare to either of them. During their first fight that day, Guy-sensei watched them intently, trying to evaluate them. However, though my eyes followed both of their quick movements, my mind was focused on Neji-kun. I couldn't help but repeating the apology in my head until I found all of its faults, and reworded it. I was so lost in thought, I couldn't hear Guy-sensei telling me to get up and join the fight. I didn't get up until Lee came over to pull me off my feet.

That afternoon, I left the worst first impression. Throughout the entire practice session, I was knocked around, until I had scraped holes in my pants and left blood on my knees. I couldn't focus, and every time I tried to lunge forward on the offensive, I would be forced to take a swift defensive stance. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't land a single effective hit on my teammates, especially without any of my scrolls to help me. Eventually, Sensei decided that it'd be best for me to only participate in one-on-one battles, as fighting both Neji-kun and Lee at once was clearly too much for me. So there, I returned to my previous spot, sitting on the ground with my back leaning against a tree. I hugged my knees tightly. Now, rather than thinking about the apology, I was focused on the fight and what Sensei must've thought about me at that point. The "warm-up spar" dragged on until Lee could no longer keep up, and when we thought it was over, it was only just beginning.

That day, we learned about hand-to-hand combat. We learned how to get out of the way of a chakra-enhanced punch or gain an advantage over someone twice your size. We were taught how to be able to use all of your strength in one push, but still have the energy to do it again and again. Lee followed everything Sensei said, and as did Neji-kun. It seemed as though I was the only one who couldn't. Finally, our practice ended, and we were told that out first mission would be in two days. Until then, we were going to continue our study on hand-to-hand contact.

"However, youths, tomorrow, I would like you all to bring your kunai and shuriken because we'll be adding that to our practice." He called out as we began collecting our things. As soon as kunai and shuriken were mentioned, I felt a bit more excited for the next practice, as weapons were my specialty.

Halfway to my home, I realized I had missed my chance to speak to Neji. I took in a sharp breath and ran in the direction of the Hyuuga household. By the time I got there, he was already inside, and if I knocked, the one to open the door would most likely not be him, and they would surely request the purpose of my visit. In a dull mood, the only thing I could do was go home and vow to do it the next day. I would have my weapons, so I would definitely be more confident, right?