01; Dark Side of the Moon

Elena Cortez sat puzzled in a dim lit room

Elena Cortez sat puzzled in a dim lit room. Her legs were neatly crossed, one rising and falling rapidly in an anxiety motivated bounce. Her browns eyes exhaustedly scanned over the scattered pile of letters in front of her. Each one had haunting red words stamped across ranging from ' Overdue' or 'Final Notice' . Silently she cursed everything; she cursed Greendale , she cursed her shitty one bed room apartment , her shitty job that barely allowed her to keep the lights on, and most importantly she cursed the family that had turned their backs on the young girl when she was 16 all because she fell in love. For they had wealth beyond most's wildest dreams...Had she known how ever changing a mans love could be there's no telling how her life would've been different.

Elena quickly wiped a frustrated tear away as she heard the soft stirring of the small boy coming from the queen sized bed.

"Mommy?" A soft voice called out and in that moment the Cortez woman composed herself.

Any doubt she felt about her life was demolished as she got up to sit beside the only joy she's ever needed. He was here because of her decision to disobey her families strict rules.  Nothing could replace him.

"Good morning sleepy head." She smiled while he smirked, eyes pinched closed. "Awe come on baby let me see those eyes."

"You got-gotta do the s-s-song first." Her son stuttered.

Of course.

Her son had a weird fixation with one song in particular; he called it his lucky jam. So every morning Elena would sing it for him to ease the running mind of the 9 year old.

" She's got a smile it seems to me
Reminds me of childhood memories
Where everything
Was as fresh as the bright blue sky
Now and then when I see her face
She takes me away to that special place
And if I'd stare too long
I'd probably break down and cry. "

Those hypnotizing ocean eyes that were the complete opposite of Elena's darker brown finally open wide as little Wyatt Cortez shot up right.

"Oh, oh, oh
Sweet child o' mine
Oh, oh, oh, oh
Sweet love of mine."

His gentle stutter mashed with her oddly smooth raspy voice as they belted out the course to the Guns N' Roses hit song.

"to-today is gonna be a g--goo-good day." Wyatt declared with certainty and a toothy grin.

"it sure is little man." Elena ruffled his shaggy brown hair , "Now on to the import stuff. Its Saturday so you know what that means..."

"WAFFLES!"

Within 20 minutes stacks on stacks of fluffy thick Belgium waffles were placed in front of the drooling boy; an orchestra of flavors playing on his crowded Spiderman plate. Chocolate syrup streamed down his breakfast as sweet m&m's (only the red ones he preferred) decorated the top. The platter was basically dessert for breakfast and if anyone witnessed the lack of nutrition Elena would surely be mom shamed. But this was Wyatt's routine. Saturday's were fun days if it were any different the poor kid would have a tantrum; not because he was a brat, he was actually a very well mannered boy, but because of the tick in his brain. He couldn't control its function or explain it himself but ever since he could speak he'd been very peculiar about routines, schedules , clothing fabrics, noises,and even colors. The smallest dissatisfaction would cause a panic attack and he'd often shout ,hit his head or exhibit other more subtle ticks like pulling on his light brown hair.