Perspective #5

Perspective #5

I pulled away from Mason and looked at the little girl standing in the doorway. She had dark colored hair that only reached her shoulders, and she was wearing a blue dress with white polka dots on it. I'm guessing that it was his sister by her looks and slight English accent.

His sister. Meaning that if she was home, so were his parents. Oh no, I'm not ready to meet the parents. I'll never be ready to meet the parents.

"Leah!" Mason groaned and looked at me apologetically, not noticing my inner turmoil (which is very surprising). He got up from the bed and ran over to the doorway, about to pick 'Leah' up, but at the last second she ran from him, giggling.

A small smile appeared on his face as he ran after her, playfully yelling things at her about how she was in big trouble.

I hesitated for a second before getting up from the bed and following them out of the door. I assumed that they had made their way downstairs. I followed in their footsteps but stopped at the last step.

It looked like Mason had just caught Leah and he was swinging her around in his arms while she laughed... well, like a little school girl. Who I'm assuming is Mason's mom was watching them with a smile on her face, as was I.

When he put her down, Mason noticed me standing there and with a smile, motioned for me to come to him. I did as he told and slowly walked over to him.

"Well, who is this?" His mom asked with a smile when she saw me standing there. Mason was right about the whole not losing the accent thing.

"That's the girl that was sucking his face, mommy!" Leah said and pointed at me.

Kill me now.

Mason laughed then wrapped his arm around my waist, pulling me closer. "This is Kennedy, my girlfriend," he said to his mom.

His girlfriend. He just introduced me as his girlfriend. A warm feeling spread through my body as I thought of myself as Mason's girlfriend. I never wanted to call myself Kennedy again. If someone asked me for my name I'd just say 'Mason's girlfriend' because that's who I was and I'm just so happy about it!

"Hello Kennedy!" She said with a huge smile that appeared on her face at the sound of 'girlfriend.' "I'm Jessabel, but you can call me Jess."

I smiled at her and was about to greet her when she pulled me into a hug.

"I'm sorry, I'm just so happy that Mason has a girlfriend," she said when she pulled away. I noticed that her eyes were glistening, as if she was tearing up. "And you're so pretty!"

I let out a small laugh at her excitement then grabbed Mason's hand. Jess took notice and a tear went down her cheek.

"Mum, it's okay," Mason said, trying to console her.

"I know, I know," she said and wiped her eyes. "Okay, what do normal mothers do when boys bring home girls?" She said to herself, shuffling around the room.

I glanced at Mason and he gave me a shrug.

"Oh! I know, they show baby pictures and then Mason's supposed to get embarrassed and it's all perfect." She was still mumbling to herself but now she was pulling multiple albums from a drawer.

"I won't get embarrassed, mum," Mason said and walked over to her, pulling me along.

"Hush now, boy, I'm trying to spend quality time with Kennedy," she said. She took me away from Mason and pulled me down onto the couch.

"We're going to look at baby pictures?" I asked her.

She nodded with a huge smile then opened one of the many albums. For the next half hour, she pointed out pictures of Mason at various ages and we all laughed and cooed about how cute he was. Fifteen minutes in, Mason's dad came home and he joined us, just without the whole cooing part.