Part One

Blackkit curled up in the warmth of his mother, Snowfeather's, belly. His mother purred and licked his ear. Blackkit glanced at Slatekit, noticing the other tom-kit watching him. Blackkit raced from the den, Slatekit following close behind him.

"Let's go push an apprentice into the stream," Blackkit said to Slatekit.

The other tom-kit blinked. "But the stream is outside camp."

"Yeah, but not very far. And besides, if we're caught, we can say we wanted to learn how to fish," Blackkit told him.

Slatekit thought a moment before responding, "Alright."

They didn't go very far before spotting Burntppaw, Nightpaw, and Cedarpaw. The three were watching the stream. Blackkit nodded once to Slatekit, then stalked forward with him, and they both pushed Burntpaw into the water. Nightpaw glanced at the kits, then turned back to the stream as Burntpaw climbed out, glaring at the kits. Cedarpaw snorted.

"You were pushed in by a kit," the she-cat's whiskers twitched.

Burntpaw huffed, then shoved Cedarpaw into the stream. "Not very funny now, is it?" Burntpaw hissed.

Cedarpaw climbed out of the water. "Well I wasn't pushed in by a kit,"

"Whatever," Burntpaw muttered, then turned to the kits. "Go back to camp."

"And why do we have to?" Blackkit asked, looking up at the brown apprentice.

"Because I told you to. And if you don't, I'll tell Snowfeather and Poppyshine," Burntpaw snapped.

"Fine," Blackkit muttered and trotted back in the direction of camp. Slatekit followed.

"Why does he have to be so bossy?" Slatekit complained.

"Because he's an apprentice now. He thinks he can tell us what to do."

"We'll be apprentices soon enough,"

As they walked back into the ShadeClan camp, Blackkit noticed his mother and father, Snowfeather and Nightwhisker, sitting in camp. He trotted over to them, leaving Slatekit. When he opened his jaws to speak, everyone's attention flicked to the entrance of camp.

"Ashenpelt?"

"Where was she?"

"She has a kit!"

Blackkit listened to his Clanmates. Beestar walked over to Ashenpelt, the Clan's medicine cat.

"Where have you been?" The yellow tom demanded.

Ashenpelt's answer was very short and simple. "I was helping a rogue."

"And the kit?" Beestar asked.

"She said she couldn't take care of her. So I brought her here for the Clan to take care of her," the medicine cat told him.

The leader hesitated before giving her a single nod. "Does she have a name?"

Ashenpelt nodded. "Vixenkit."

The ginger she-kit's green gaze traveled the Clan. Blackkit watched her. Ashenpelt murmured something in Vixenkit's ear, then trotted away towards the medicine den. Vixenkit glanced around, obviously confused.

Blackkit raced away from his parents and over to Vixenkit. She flinched as he approached.

"I'm Blackkit," he told her.

"I er- I'm Vixenkit," the ginger she-kit responded.

"I know, I heard," the tom-kit smiled. Slatekit trotted over to them.