chapter seven

There was a bit of silence, comfortable to say the least. They just needed each other by one another to keep from going crazy. Even if there was silence, which was best most times. They still fought constantly, like an old married couple would, Roger would tell them. And yes, they did fight a lot, so it was best if they closed their mouths and didn't speak. But something inside of them wanted to speak to one another.

Ralph turned to the redhead next to him. His eyes squinted at the boy with the straight face and dead expression. He opened his mouth to speak, but no words came out. Jack's eyes never left the fire, though he was sharpening the spear in his hands. "Jack?" Ralph murmured, it was quiet, and could barely be heard over the crackling fire. Jack heard him, but said nothing, Ralph didn't know why, was he okay? Ralph panicked mentally, trying to calm himself down, but tears brimmed his eyes. He wasn't sure why. He just didn't like the thought of the person he loved to he hurt.

"Jack." Ralph said louder, Jack turned his head slowly, his cracked lip was bleeding. "Yeah?" He asked gently. "Are you okay?" Jack hesitated before nodding, "just been 'thinkin, what happens if we never get off the island?" Sure, Jack had said before that they were never getting off, but this time he truly felt hopeless. And Ralph shook his head, "we will." Jack sighed, "but what if we don't?" His tone was stronger now. "We'll never know until something happens." Jack tilted his head, opened his mouth to speak, but eventually closed it.

"I haven't said it before, but I love you. That one time we kissed me I understood how I truly felt for you. I- I just can't explain it." Jack spilled out. Ralph smiled, "I feel the same. All I can explain it as is, woah." Jack looked at him with a faint smirk, grabbing his chin and gently pulling it towards his face, connecting their lips.