Chapter 1

2 hours 26 minutes until the start of the annual Purge

"If you're not purging we advise you to get off the streets as quickly as possible." The news reporter says, "It'll soon be a war out there."  Liam's stomach knots up, his mind begins to wonder. How could someone go out and kill innocent people? It didn't seem right to him. A knock at the door snaps Liam out of his thoughts. 

"Who is it?" Liam shouts. 

"It's a murderer, who the hell do you think it is?" A boy says with a familiar Irish accent. Liam chuckles while opening the door. His best friend Niall walks in. "We've got at least another two hours before it starts, idiot." He laughs. 

"Well you never know, it could have been anyone!" Liam protests. 

"Yeah, right." Niall dismisses as he sits on the sofa. "How's your Aunt?" 

"She's okay but I don't know how much longer I can afford her medicine." 

"It'll be okay, buddy. I'm always here if you need anything." Niall reassures Liam, patting his back a couple of times. 

"I hope so, is burger and chips okay for dinner?" He asks, while turning on the oven. "We need to be quite because Aunty Gill is asleep." 

"Yeah sure." 

*     ^     *     ^     *

Across town, Harry Styles sits on his bed as he slowly loads up his pistol, one bullet at a time. He raises the pistol and aims, testing it out before putting in a large bag with the rest of his pistols and guns. Harry stares at the floor with an AK47U in his hand. His eyes fall onto the framed picture on his bedside table of him and Emma. He had his arms wrapped round her, they were both smiling. He had waited 12 months for this night.

"This is for you Emma." Harry says aloud before zipping up his black bag full of weapons.

*     ^     *     ^     *

Zayn and Louis drive in silence. Louis stares out the window, many houses are already barricaded up. He spots two men nailing wood onto the windows of a small cream house. 

"I'm glad we aren't on the highway," Zayn states, braking the silence, "It'll be really busy." 

"Yeah." Louis sighs, not in the mood for talking as he turns to look out the window again.

"You okay?" Zayn inquires. 

"Yeah I'm, eh, fine." 

"Are you sure?" He insists.

"Yes, you don't need to keep asking me." Louis snaps. 

They pass a middle aged woman placing blue flowers underneath the American flag in her front garden, meaning she supports the Purge. 

*     ^     *     ^     * 

Curiosity got the better of Niall, he plugs in his earphones and clicks play. Four teenage boys appear on the screen. "They must be in their late teens to early twenties." Niall mumbles to himself.

"We lost our souls to retain this peace. We no longer worship at the alter of Christ or Muhammad. The Purge is not about containing crime to one night and cleansing our souls by releasing aggression. It's about one thing. Money. Who dies tonight?" The older boy says with brown hair.

"We can't afford to protects ourselves." The boy with blond quiffed hair continues. 

Liam hops over the back of the sofa, landing right beside Niall, making him jump. "Who are these people?" Liam asks. 

"They're people who are against the Purge. These four guys are the leaders though. You must have seen their protest posters across the town, they're everywhere?" 

Liam looks blankly at Niall, he'd never seen these guys before. 

"Anyway, I think they have some good ideas." 

"I'm going for a shower." Liam dismisses.

*     ^     *     ^     *

"Pull over in there, we need food for tonight." Louis says.

"Should we not just keep going, its less than two hours before commencement." Zayn suggests. 

"We've got plenty of time." 

"Fine." Zayn sighs in defeat, turning into the car park. 

The super market is almost empty. Zayn grabs a trolley and follows Louis. "Hurry up Louis." Zayn urges. 

"Calm down, man." 

Finally, they reach the check out. The cashier smiles at them, "Getting supplies for tonight?" 

"Yeah, stay safe." Louis replies, returning the smile. 

"Stay safe." She says as she scans the last item, "That'll be $20.67." 

Louis hands over the money. Zayn glances around nervously before walking out to the car. He stands beside it, breathing deeply. He hated the whole idea of the Purge. He didn't believe it that it was right. What about all the people who can't protect themselves. Like the homeless? And the poor? They would be easy targets. 

Louis unlocks the car as it's his turn to drive. Zayn gasps as a man shoulder barges him roughly against the car. The man had his face painted completely white, apart from the big black circles around his eyes and the corner of his lips. They stare at the man, terrified. He slowly walks away but turns back and watches them leave along with other mean and woman with painted faces or masks on. A few of them drove around in motorbikes and some had skateboards. Zayn notices one man in particular. He has a white mask on, which the lips have been painted red and so has the cheeks, around the eyes have been blackened out and eyebrows have been drawn in. The word 'God' has been scribbled across his forehead. The man leans his head to one side and raises his arm and waves at them. 

"Get in the car." Louis demands before the both climb in.

"What was that about?" Zayn anxiously asks.

"I have no idea." 

Louis instantly starts the car and speeds out of the car park.

*     ^     *     ^     *

Harry pulls his bullet proof vest over his head. He hears a loud knock at the door. It's Victoria, Emma's bestfriend. 

"What do you want, Victoria?" Harry asks quietly, "You should be at home, it's almost commencement."

She glances over at the living room wall, newspaper reports and pictures of a man were pinned up. "You can't go out there, it's too dangerous." She nods her head from side to side.

"You need to go. Get home before it starts."

"It won't make you feel any better." Victoria states.

Harry stares at the floor, avoiding her gaze. She leans in and wraps her arms around him, "Stay safe, okay?" 

He watches her leave, "Stay safe." He mutters while closing the door.

*     ^     *     ^     *

"That guy was really creepy." Louis says, adrenaline pumping through him.

Zayn doesn't reply, instead he looks out the window. A bang comes from under the car causing a jolt to shudder through it. "What was that?" Zayn asks, panic spreads over him.

"I can't steer." Louis says, alarm in his voice. 

The car screeches to a slow stop. Louis turns the key, the car rumbles quietly and doesn't move. Zayn turns to Louis, he has turned very pale. "Try again." Louis tries to start the car but it fails. 

"Shit." Louis says with dismay. 

*     ^     *     ^     *

"45 minutes until the annual Purge commences." The muffled voice of the broadcast says. Harry turns out of the car park. 

He has to kill him...